5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2014 9:58 AM by Don Howe

How to create forging draft or oscillating draft

Don Howe

I used to know how to do this but it's been so long my method doesn't seem to work anymore. How do I create forging draft or what was refered to many years ago as oscillating draft. I'm a SW2004 user.

I have a very simple part which I want to create a surface loft using 3 profiles each with a pierce relationship and a guide curve. Once the loft is created I would remove the material in front of the lofted surface using a surface cut. See the images below

forgingdraft.jpg

This is what I end up with when I create the loft

forgingdraft2.jpg

What I am looking for to happen is the following (after the surface cut)

forgingdraft3.jpg

The image above is taken from a paper I wrote years ago when I worked in the Forging Industry and at that time I was using SW97or 99. So I know it can be done...I just don't remember how to do it.

• Re: How to create forging draft or oscillating draft
          Roland Schwarz

Draft from parting line won't do it?

Otherwise, you can make a sweep.  Usweep along a straigh line and use your loft curve as a guide curve.  The sweep profile is just a straight line constrained to the guide and angled to your draft.

• Re: How to create forging draft or oscillating draft
              Don Howe

Parting line draft in SW2004 wont do what I need. Imagine a milling cutter with a 7 degree taper. It starts at the parting line where the first profile curve is located, the draft is 0, it starts cutting down into the part following the guide curve as the cutter reaches the center line of the part or the bottom radius of the guide curve the draft at the parting line is now at  maximum. If the radius is 1.5 inches and the cutter has 7 degree draft the draft at the parting line would be .183 inches. Now the cutter starts climbing back up the 1.5 radius till it gets to the fillet radius, it runs straight for a little bit then starts climbing back up the slope and out of the part, where the draft reaches 0 again. In this case the guide curve is the master path not the parting line. When I get a chance I will sketch out the shape of the draft at the parting line, unless of course you can visualize what I just described.