3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2014 11:58 AM by Andrew Kronquist

SW referencing odd files location

Andrew Kronquist

I was loading up a drawing, and noticed SW couldn't find some files, and the location is some deeply buried directory in the users dir. I was wondering why SW would do that?

swbs.png

• Re: SW referencing odd files location
          Robert D.

Did Solidworks crash recently?

Jeremy Feist

you may note from the file name in the path, that the file it is looking for is a virtual component. whenever you have a virtual component in an open assembly, SW saves a copy of the part info to a file in your temp directory so that the various bits of the program can work on it just like any other part.

if it is looking for the file there on opening, some error happened when last saving the assembly, or as Robert suggested, a SW crash can do it too.

Andrew Kronquist

How do I give both of you the correct answer?

How could I forget the three hour head-banging session? The assembly wouldn't load so I had to keep killing the process. I started picking though the subassemblies part by part until I found ONE PART that was in SW2014, and I was in SW2013. When I tried to open the individual part I got the "future version" error, but never during the assembly or sub assembly load did SW mention that fact. So I'm not waiting for everyone to get onboard with SW2014 anymore.