6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2016 8:04 PM by Fionn Phelan

can I export isolines to curves?

Dan Hofstetter

Hi all,

I am working on a project where I would like to be able to determine the area in a cut plot that is above a certain value, say 50 ppm.  Is there a way to export curves from contours or isolines in a cut plot?  If I can do this, I think I can use the measure tools to find the area inside the contour.

Thanks!

- Dan

• Re: can I export isolines to curves?
          Jared Conway

do not believe you can do that

but you could export the data manually and then build the curve with import through XYZ

Dan Hofstetter

Great suggestion!  How can I do that?  I know how to export the mesh, but I only need the contours if I'm going to import through XYZ.  ?

Chris Michalski

Depending on how weird the contour is you could just make sketches on the plane.  1 that is the entire cross-section, the other use a simple spline to trace your contour.  It is a manual process but it would get you want you want eventually.

Jared Conway

don't have flow simulation in front of me but where you export the mesh, can't you export parameters as well?

Dan Hofstetter

Yes, you can export the parameter values with the mesh, and even limit the scope a bit (min/max Z value to export).  I guess I could open that text file in something like Matlab, create surface contours there, and try to isolate the particular ones I want.  Seems like a lot of trouble though for something that should be trivial since flow simulation has already calculated the curve in order to display it on the screen   I played around with mesh exporting a few days ago thinking about trying this, but writing the mesh out to ascii or Excel is too slow, even on a really fast PC, to make it a viable option given the number of files I need to work with in a relatively short time.

Actually, after reading the replies and thinking about this more, the quickest solution is probably to save the cut plot with isolines to an image, find a utility that converts raster images to vectors, then import the vectors (probably .dxf files) and scale them up.  This is similar to the suggestion by Chris, but could save time if there are many contours that need to be traced.  I'll try to post a followup when I get something to work.

Fionn Phelan

I think I am having a similar issue, in that I am having to physically trace a isoline plot which I transferred as a drawing in. Surely there must be a simpler way? As you can see I am trying (emphasize 'trying') to make a hill however, my splines are rather inaccurate and it's time consuming to match each point.

Are there any tutorials/ videos you guys could direct me too which might help me on this?

TopView.PNGSideView.PNG