11 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2014 4:09 PM by Larry Meyers

HUGE Texture Issue! Converting Textures from SW to Composer

Larry Meyers

We just barely purchased Composer to help us with our media creation for brochures, specs, etc... as we've seen it demonstrated doing a great job of.

However, When I tried to import my assembly (.SLDASM) from SolidWorks, it failed to import my textures giving me gray colored parts.

Read my whole problem story here: <Seen Here>

I’ve even created custom textures to put on my parts, same result! Why can’t I get my textures to look just like they did in SolidWorks?!? Is this NOT a SolidWorks product?? This software is POINTLESS if I can’t make my products look nice! That’s the whole point of it!

• Re: HUGE Texture Issue! Converting Textures from SW to Composer
          Derek Parks

Larry,

Your textures and appearances are not going to look exactly as they did in Solidworks in Composer . While this is now a Solidworks product it did not start out that way and has not been revised much from it's 3Dvia Composer days.

Composer is a great tool to do technical documentation and animations but falls short in hi resolution imagery. If you looking for photoview360 type imagery to come out of Composer you are going to be greatly disapointed.

As definitions of nice can vary If you attach links to some examples of what you were shown the program could do I can try and explain how it was achieved.

Derek

Larry Meyers

I'm not so much as looking for PhotoView 360 quality images as much as looking for visually similar representations. What I'd like to know is how I can get that texture (as shown in my lask link) to actually wrap my parts properly. I would be decently satisfied if I could figure that out.

Derek Parks

Larry,

OK, how are you applying your texture? Is it directly to your part or are you creating a primitive to attach it to?

I can't clearly see your settings in the screen shot you have. If you could attach another screen shot here of you settgins I can take a look at it. Or if it is easier just attach your file and I can take a look at it if you would like.

Basically if I had to guess its going to boil down to a texture map issue or a location setting of the mapping that is giving you the odd directions if in fact it was attached directly to the part.

Derek

Larry Meyers

I downloaded a texture / Selected "Enable" on "Texture" / Then selected my texture using the "Map Path"

I uploaded a picture as requested to that existing link.

Derek Parks

OK, So since you said you downloaded a texture the first thing I would do would be to open it in a graphics program to check quality. If you have a texture that goes off in every direction not on a part it will do it on a part as well. Seems obvious but I have seen some pretty bad images used as textures online especially if just grabbed off Google images.

If there is nothing wrong with your texture you are mapping to then I would start by playing with your settings. More than likely your scale and ratio will need to be adjusted to clean up your look. Judging from your image I would assume you are going for a marble looking top. If this is the case and your image being mapped too is again of good quality I would get rid of the Mosaic setting.

Some textures work better with Mosiac than others and this may help in your situation.  To be honest your screen shot of your model with the texture doesn't look too far off to me but it is a screenshot so I could be missing something.

John Burrill

Larry, I made the same discovery when I got Composer.  It makes good looking technical illustrations and it has pretty good environment effects, but for appearances, it doesn't have UV unwrapping, doesn't support normal or bump maping, doesn't support image alpha channels for transparency and it's image size, scale and orientation controls are archaic.

I'm hopeful that my numerous enhancment requests for improved support of Solidworks appearences, decals and other settings will get results in an upcoming release, or that the Composer tools will atleast be given comparable capabilities, but what I've come to terms iwth is that composer is suited for lightweight interactive 3D and animation and has been optimized for technical illustrations.