4 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2014 12:20 PM by Jeff Fine

Can drawings be driven by design tables?

Jeff Fine

I have a need to drive drawings parametrically using design tables.  This is for corrugated board parts of potentially tens of different sizes, but with a fixed set of features.  I need to attach certain lines to layers, so can't use part sketches and then make drawings from those.  It appears that a design table can only be brought into a drawing as a graphic, not a driver of parameters.  Is there any way to drive a sketch in a .slddrw document?  If possible, I'd also like to use the design table to fill in title block information.  Is any of this possible?

Jeff Fine

• Re: Can drawings be driven by design tables?
          Roger Ikonen

wouldn't the design table be created in the part file and all your changes would be recorded there and when you move to your drawing file you just select which configuration you want? Any change in the design table would carry over to your drawing. I don't know if I'm understanding what your looking for. I created my title blocks with links attached to the custom property tab which I created using the property tab builder. All my standard information that never changes is in my template and any information that changes I can change by simply modifying in the custom property tab.

• Re: Can drawings be driven by design tables?
              Jeff Fine

Thanks for the reply Roger.  There are a couple of problems with using the part sketch to generate the drawing in this case.  One issue is that different lines need to be on different layers, with different linetyupes and colors.  None of those properties are available in the part environment.  The other issue is that there are several cuts that will have a zero thickness.  There are lines that represent die cuts in the corrugated board, and so have no width.  Normally I'd just make a .001" witdth cut, but that just complicates things with having to zoom way in to pick an edge or vertex to dimension to or edit the length of.

If I could get around the layer and linetype issue in the part environment, I could probably deal with the second issue, but it is important for the shops that do the die work to meet their drawing standards.

As is so often the case, I'm trying to use something in a way other than the way it was intended. The capabilities of SW are just so close to what I want to do.

Jeff