6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2014 4:03 PM by Pete Yodis

EPDM Email notifications.....And their Chaiotic structure

Lawrence Kiefer

I am currently trying to find a solution, working with my VAR for an issue we are having with the EPDM email notifications. Is it really possible that we are the only company that has brought this up as something solidworks needs to address asap. It is not something that hinders the use of the software but it is something that is causing extreme frustration and confusion.

When drawings are submitted for approval, they pass through my approval workflow along with the associated parts and assemblies. The email notification as you can see in my image below includes drawings, parts and assemblies, and it does not seem to organize them in any reasonably easy ro read format. Keep in mind the approval departments outside of engineering have no idea  what SLDDRW SLDASM and SLDPRT files are, so they dont even know what links to click on. Although parts and assemblies need to be revision controlled with most aerospace jobs, the approval departments are only concerned with checking the drawings and approving them, not the parts or assemblies. I really wish that these notifications could be edited to remove the par and assembly links altogether. The parts and assemblies should still follow the drawings through the workflow, and get bumped up in revision, bit behind the scene.

So, if there is a way this can be done, that me and my VAR have overlooked I would appreciate it being shared with us.

Even if no one has a solution, I would like to know how others are doing this and also I would appreciate opinions on this topic. Maybe if enough people reply to this post and agree that this is an issue, solidworks might notice and make a change.

Notification email.JPG

• Re: EPDM Email notifications.....And their Chaiotic structure
          Pete Yodis

Lawrence,

I also am interested in keeping the notifications complexity to a minimum.  It would be nice to only see the drawings and not the parts and assemblies as you mentioned... but still have the parts and assemblies pass through when the drawings are approved.  It would really unlcutter things.  I am concerned with the amount of notifications that will be generated when one of our large assembly drawings passes through the workflow.  I am interested in hearing what others have done here...

Lawrence Kiefer
            GOOD NEWS!
            My VAR just emailed me with a possible solution. I have not tried it as I just received the e-mail but it has merit. See the solution below.

S-052090

What are the ways to prevent Enterprise PDM notifications from being sent for every file changing state in a workflow?

If using a workflow transition notification (i.e. the notification icon on the transition) it will be triggered on all files passing that transition.  If several files are transitioned at the same time (i.e. drawing and its part etc) one notification per file set will result.

To prevent having all files passing the transition trigger the notification, it is possible for example to create a "parallel transition" - i.e. a second transition between same source and target state with the same name and permissions, but in the original transition where there is a notification defined, add a transition condition of "Filetype" and argument "%.slddrw"  (without quotes).  That way, when the transitions are triggered, all files matching file extension *.slddrw will go through the first transition with the notification applied, and all others will go through the second, parallel, transition where there is no notification defined.

If using other types of notifications, such as the "send mail" transition action, then it will be triggered for each file passing the transition but it will not collect all files that change state at the same time and instead send one notification per file.

If this is the problem, use the "run only for extensions" setting when defining the send mail action to have it only trigger on slddrw for example.

Lawrence Kiefer

Pete,

I did it a bit different than solidworks explains, but my workflow image is below. It worked GREAT!

Now the only notification links that get emailed are for the drawings...I hope this helps you out as well. If you need more help setting this up just give me a shout and I will give a more detailed explanation.

Workflow.PNG

email.PNG