13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2015 11:21 AM by Sarah Dwight

Drawing Zone Callouts

Timothy Wagner

Hi,

I'm new to SolidWorks, and I've been looking for info on if it's possible to automate the callouts for sheet and zone for view location.  As an example, lets say I have a detail view called out on sheet 1, zone B3, and the actual view is show on sheet 3, zone C2.  I would like to place a note either in or near the detail view name that's something like this "SHEET 1, ZB3", and on the detail view circle it would be "SHEET 3, ZC2".  I would also like these notes to be linked to the actual location of the view or the view callouts.  Meaning, lets say I move the detail to a different view zone, or even sheet, then the associated note would update to show the new view location.

This may already be an open discussion, so I'm sorry if I'm bringing up old subjects.  Any help would be great.

• Re: Drawing Zone Callouts
          Jeremy Feist

this has been brought up before - and SW does not currently have the capability to have these be automatic/parametric.

Matthew Lorono

Timothy,

Welcome to the SOLIDWORKS Forums! 

You mentioned that you are new to SOLIDWORKS?  Does this mean you previously used another CAD application.  If so, did that application have the function of zones?

Thanks!

Timothy Wagner

Hi Matthew,

I am a former PTC ProE/Wildfire/Creo/Whatever user.  In ProE, if the formats are setup properly, there are some paramters you can include in notes to link them to the drawing views and view callouts.  It was always awkward using it the way they had it, but I imagine there is significant room for improvement.  Why, is SolidWorks looking for ideas???

Phil Halonen

We have been having issues with these 2-digit codes showing up in our revision table.  I read the posts about clicking outside of a view etc.  Today we had a case where a 'a3a4' would show up, it was corrected, the table looked good, it was checked into the PDM vault, re-opened from the vault and the 'a3a4' was there again.  We deleted the whole table and started over and it appears to be fine.  SolidWorks - - Please get rid of this zone callout bug! 

Thanks,

Phil

Matthew Lorono

Phil,

This is not a bug, per se.  In SW2015, while you are editing a table cell, you can click on a drawing view to add it's location to that cell.  This is inline with behaviors with notes where you can click on dimensions and balloons to add their values to the note you are editing.  To exit from editing a table cell, use ESC or click on a portion of the drawing not occupied by a drawing view.

Due to customer feedback such as yours, we are currently looking into changing this behavior to end the accidental adding of zones to tables.

Andy Sanders

Phil,  I got bit by this today.

On our change note, I got several codes show up in a row.  Deleting them did nothing, as a Control-C would always bring them back.

I found out that somehow the column gets hijacked by the "Zone" feature.  You don't have to delete your revision table and start over, but you have to edit the column properties and change it back to custom (it changes it to "Zone" as the related column connection) and enter your column title again.

Very frustrating!  I had a long revision table with many changes.  I did NOT want to do that over again.

Matthew Lorono

Zone column automatically takes the locations of your revision symbols.  There is a setting in your table that allows you to disable this behavior, called "Auto update zone cells" in the PropertyManager of your Reivsion Table.

Andy Sanders

Matthew,

Can I change this in my Revision Table template file so it sticks?

The column this happened to in my revision table was supposed to be for our engineering change notice ID number.  The problem here was the "zone" feature took over this column completely.  I had to manually change it back to what it was supposed to be.  It is the first column on the left.

I just inserted a new one and found out the "zone" column was already there without me adding a new revision or clicking into any cell.

I also opened one of my template drawings, which has a revision table in it.  My ECN column was taken over by zone.

Am I going to have to change all my template drawings and revision tables within them?

Andy Sanders

I just had to go into all of my template drawings, fix the revision table not to be attached to "zones" and uncheck the auto update setting.

Why did this happen to my revision table?  Were zones intended to be the first column automatically? zone taking ecn column.JPG

Andy Sanders

ARGHHGHHHHH.

I just opened a drawing that hadn't been opened in a couple years.  Didn't to anything but check the ECN column, and here's the zone takeover.

EVERY existing drawing will have to be fixed on the fly.  Not a hard thing to do, but will have to be done on all previous drawings with an ECN table in it.

old drawing zone hit.JPG

Matthew Lorono

Andy,

No changes should be made to existing tables automatically by SW.  It is likely that Zone was already set to that column and was never changed.  Zone is the default for the first column.  However, you shouldn't be experiencing the new behavior on existing tables even in this event, as the setting I mentioned should be turned off automatically for those tables.

Sarah Dwight

Wow I didn't even know that column option existed for revision tables!!! I couldn't understand why after inserting a column to the right or left it would copy the column next to it. This was hit or miss when I wanted to add an ECN column to our revision tables on older documents and sometimes new ones. Mind-boggling functionality, but now I know how to fix it! Thanks so much for posting!