1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 21, 2014 7:34 PM by Jared Conway

Joule heating

Qi Hongming

Case 1: Apply 0.1 V Voltage AC on one terminal surface (0.1 sin(314t), apply 0 V voltage on another terminal surface, goal is AV specific volume joule heat.

Case 2: Apply 0.1 V voltage AC on one termial surface (0.1 sin(314t), apply 0.1 sin(314t-2π/3) voltage on another terminal surface, goal is same AV specific volum joule heat.

Question is : normal call  case 1 voltage is single phase voltage, case 2 is two phase voltage,   theroy calculation, Joule heat generate of case 2 is 3 times than that of case 1,(Line voltage is 1.732 times phase voltage, wattage is 3 times)

however simulation calculation  joule heat of case 2 is 5.6 times than that of case 1. I don't know the reason?

see attachment: joule heating model

• Re: Joule heating
          Jared Conway

hi qi, version/service pack that you are using?

have you tried a really simple model of a block or bus bar in a steady state analysis just to make sure your understanding of the functionality is good?

my experience is that the joule heating is very sensitive to mesh and inputs. so before going to a transient analysis with formula dependence, i would make sure everything leading up to that works properly.

for a transient analysis, you will likely also need really good time resolution to get good results.