8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2014 9:35 AM by Glenn Schroeder

How to use variable in angle mate

Ram R.

I'm creating an angle mate. Can I use a variable rather than a number for the angle? I'd like to be able to use the same variable in several places and then change it in one place rather than going over each place. How can I do that?

• Re: How to use variable in angle mate
          Kelef Man

hei'ya Ram, I think you want "global variable",

you may be able to do what you want with a "design table",

or even in configurations, depending on your intent-

IMHO try out each method to see as to what does

what you want the way you want

hope this helps- have a good'n kelef

Glenn Schroeder

KM is right.  Global Variable is the way to go.  Right-click on your Equations folder in the tree and choose "Manage Equations" from the drop-down.  That will bring up a table where you can create a global variable, give it a name, and assign it a value.  You can then use this global variable for dimensions, etc.  Typing = in the box where you normally enter a dimension should bring up a drop-down where you can select the global variable.

Ram R.

I don't see an equations folder in my tree.

Glenn Schroeder

After doing some research, the folder may not appear automatically until there is an equation in your model, depending on your System Option settings.  I'm at home now and don't have SW here to verify this, but I'll give you a couple of things to try.  If they don't help, please let me know and I'll double-check when I get to work tomorrow morning.

1.  I don't use this workflow, but I believe you can access the Equations folder by going to Tools > Equations.

2.  Go to Tools > Options > "System Options > FeatureManager to make the folder visible.

Ram R.

Going to Tools -> Equations did allow me to create a global variable easily.

But then, I can't use it in the "distance" field of a mate. I type =, get no dropdown. I finish to ="cr" or =cr and just get an error message "Please enter a number greater than or equal [...]"

Glenn Schroeder

To use the global variable in a mate, you will probably need to create the mate first with an angle that's close to the global variable.  Then close out the mate command, expand the tree to the mate, click on it (or double-click, depending on whether or not you have Instant 3d turned on) to show the dimension in the graphics area, then double-click on the angle dimension.  That will bring up the standard dimension graphics box.  Type = in the dimension space, then the global variable drop-down should be there.

global variable angle mate.png

Kelef Man

hei'ya Ram, you can RMB on the FeatureTree title(top above the freeze bar),

and select >Hidden Tree Items>Equations>Show will display the folder in the FT

or select >Hidden Tree Items>Equations>Manage Equations will display the manager pane

and as Glenn says you can set the display/hide/Auto  in the system options under Feature Manager

hope this helps- have a good'n kelef

Greg Churchley

The easiest way I've found to do this is the following:

When dimensioning a sketch just use the format ="B" where "B" is the variable name for the dimension you want to be able to change. SW will then ask if you want to create a Global Var, say yes and then assign the dimension you want. This will auto create the equations folder in the tree. At any time you can expand that folder and RMB click the table and chose to Manage Equations.Capture.JPGCaptureB.JPG