3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2014 1:22 PM by Matthew Lorono

Undimensioned features tolerance

Ethan Zalkus

I was recently presented with a problem involving tolerances for undimensioned features on a drawing. We have a note on all drawings stating that the parts are controlled by the Solidworks database and that the 3D model takes precedence over the drawing and a box in the title block stating "Unless otherwise specified..." with a basic tolerance of .XX is +/- 0.25. So we have this part that was not fully dimensioned on the DWG, and the MFG. used the 3D to pull a dimension off of. The measurement taken was 16.50. I would think they should hold to the +/-0.25 that is stated on the DWG sheet, am I wrong to assume this? Is there any "standard" that would cover a situation like this?

• Re: Undimensioned features tolerance
          Christopher Estelow

I think ASME Y14.41-2003 is what you are looking for.  Here is a brief overview of what it is for.  It is specified in cases where the drawing and the 3d model are used.

Chris

Roland Schwarz

This is an abhorrent practice.  It can be misinterpreted in so many ways.  ±.25 from what?  Can two holes that are .5 apart have the same tolerance as those 200 apart?

At the very least, specify datums from which to measure.  Using a blanket GDT surface profile callout with specific datums is much less confusin (though still likely to cause trouble).

Matthew Lorono

Applying a general tolerance to solid models is a practice of growing popularity.  Simple +/- tolerances don't work for the reason stated by Roland.   Where is the tolerance applied from? Your part is basically undefined.

There are currently three options to fully define a part from the solid model (as of ASME Y14.5-2009):

1.  Add all dimensions in the model space that would've been added to a drawing (full PMI - ASME Y14.41-2012 covers requirements for this).

2a.  Declare the model as Basic, and apply one Profile feature control frame to all surfaces referencing stated A, B and C datums.

2b.  Declare the model as Basic, and apply one Profile feature control frame with ALL OVER modifier. I talked about this here some time ago: http://www.fcsuper.com/swblog/?p=213

The safest bet is #1, but time savings isn't quite as good as #2a or #2b. 

#2a is fairly clean, but relies on knowing what is A, B, and C datum on every part.  (Three datums are not always required/available, nor is it always possible to apply these to design intent.)

#2b is cleanest and most consistent, but you'll have to work out with your vendors on how you will judge their final products directly against a solid model on a computer screen.  3D scanners are getting much more accurate these days, but the better ones are still pretty costly.  You can use the same methods as you do for #2a (CMM or OC), but some dissemination of data will have to occur for undimensioned features.

Edit:  These are all Model Based Definition methods (that is, defining the product from the model)

Message was edited by: Matthew Lorono