22 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2014 10:58 AM by John Burrill

Let SolidWorks know what properties you want to use!

Matthew Lorono

When adding annotations to a drawing or drawing view, what properties (custom, file, model) do you need to display and automatically update (linked) on your drawing?  What properties currently require a long series of steps to display or simply cannot be shown on your drawings?  Do you only use these properties in notes and balloons, or do you need you need to show their values in other types of annotations, such as tables and dimensions?  I'm asking for information on how you use properties to help us (SolidWorks) understand what is currently working and what we might want to focus on enhancing in the future.

• Re: Let SolidWorks know what properties you want to use!
          Richard Laflamme

Now you're talking! 

Yes Properties in drawing dimensions PLEASE!  I've been asking for this one for a while :-)

Richard Laflamme

Deepak Gupta

Body name in the cut list or even in the BOM when using Indented type BOM for weldment parts.

Glenn Schroeder

1.  Any property that can be used in a balloon, BOM, or cut list should be able to link to in a note by going to the "Link to Property" button in the Note's PropertyManager.  For one example, we can expand the cut list folder at the top of the tree in a multi-body part and name the bodies.  We can call out this name in the cut list on the drawing.  But if there is a way to use it in a note I haven't figured it out.  Another example:  a year or two ago we got the ability to create balloons with the Part Number from the BOM.  Having that ability in notes instead of balloons would be much better for me.

2.  What Richard said.  As an alternative, adding a note to the text portion of a dimension by clicking on the note, similar to the current workflow of adding a dimension in a note by clicking on the dimension.

Will add more as I think of them or run across the situation.

Dwight Livingston

Matthew

Most of our custom and file properties (both model and drawing) are used in the title block and BOM. These work well for the most part. (It'd be nice if, for the BOM, the quantity column headers worked more easily. Also to have a separate default text alignment for the column headers and the rest of the cells, but I guess that is a different topic.)

We also use properties in design tables. That whole process is a mess.

Our biggest use of properties in views is to identify the part being shown when we do a tabulated drawing. Per our own standards, we usually show all geometry variations in drawing views. Per ASME, we separate areas of the drawing with thick border lines and label each area with the identify of the part or assembly being shown in that area, using .25 inch-tall text (or 6 mm text). This will look like . . .

BALT123-1234-01

. . . which shows both our drawing number and the dash number for the configuration. Basically, it should look like a view title.

To make this title we have to lay a note in a view, hit the link button, select "Model in view to which the annotation is attached", drop down the selection list, select "SW-File Name", select "OK", hit the link button, select "Model in view to which the annotation is attached", drop down the selection list, select "SW-Configuration Name", select "OK".

It would be handy if

1. we could select the $partnumber value for the model (needs only one property instead of two);

2. "Model in view to which the annotation is attached" were default whenever you made a note inside a view;

3. we could edit the "Use custom properties from" value after we mistakenly picked the wrong button;

4. every view had a title that you could hide or unhide, even if it comes in hidden for most views; and

5. a view title were controlled in a section of the drawing view property manager (to pick visibility and to do a edit-text-in-window there while you can see the actual title in the graphics windows).

Beyond that? I wish general note numbers were a property to be used in annotations (and remained linked when they change). Also wish item numbers were more straightforward.

Thanks

Dwight

Matthew Lorono

Dwight Livingston wrote:

4. every view had a title that you could hide or unhide, even if it comes in hidden for most views; and

5. a view title were controlled in a section of the drawing view property manager (to pick visibility and to do a edit-text-in-window there while you can see the actual title in the graphics windows).

For #4 and #5, SolidWorks 2014 pretty much as the functionality you seek, though maybe not the workflow you are requesting.  All views now have "Add view label" in their right-click menu.  You can control the content of this view your Document Properties or editing it directly.  For this purpose, Edit text in window (already in the right-click menu for view labels and all types of notes, actually) has been enhanced a bit to make this process easier.  You can now choose to let the Document Properties control the view label, control the format of the view label directly while keeping the elements linked, or completely override the label content and replace it with unlinked text. 

Dwight Livingston

Matthew Lorono wrote:

Dwight Livingston wrote:

For #4 and #5, SolidWorks 2014 pretty much as the functionality you seek, though maybe not the workflow you are requesting.  All views now have "Add view label" in their right-click menu.  You can control the content of this view your Document Properties or editing it directly.  For this purpose, Edit text in window (already in the right-click menu for view labels and all types of notes, actually) has been enhanced a bit to make this process easier.  You can now choose to let the Document Properties control the view label, control the format of the view label directly while keeping the elements linked, or completely override the label content and replace it with unlinked text.

Good, I look forward to using SW2014. Thanks.

Roland Schwarz

Subassembly notes and properties in drawings

When attaching notes with model properties to a subassembly in a drawing, the note picks up the property of the subcomponent that the note is attached to.  No way to make the not pick up the subassembly.  (BOM ballons, also)

Roland Schwarz

Model properties in rev blocks

Just doesn't happen.  Would be nice.

James Elston

I would like to be able to use a custom property in the sheet tab. Importing the part would recognize this property and name the sheet accordingly.
                          While I'm on sheets, i would like to have custom properties per sheet. For instance i have a drawing with multiple parts (don't judge), i would like to use a custom property for each sheet instead of one sheet controlling all the sheets. I understand that this is somewhat possible using a view in each sheet but i am trying to automate processes as much as possible and using a view in each sheet means i have to sheet that property in each sheet after the first one. templates will help somewhat, but only for the number of sheet i've setup in the template. Any sheets after that will have to be manually setup.

Daen Hendrickson

Matt,

I am still on SW2013, but I would like to see easier access to Cut List properties. When I click on the "Link to Property" button the whole set of $PRPWLD properties must be wearing camouflage. They should be right there along with the custom and SW- properties in the list. Manually typing in the $PRPWLD:"propname" string seems to be a hit-or-miss affair.

Thanks, Daen

George Arthur

Hello Matthew,

I would like to use our own blocks for Section symbols which would include the section identifier (e.g."A") and the sheet number the the section view appears on. This is standard practice in many drawing offices and, currently, someone looking at a hard copy of our drawings can see the section line with the identifiers but has to search throught the sheets to see where the section view is displayed. Along with this, it would be good to have the section title in the same style to show the identifier and the sheet where the section is created - also common practice.

I know I can get the sheet number to update automatically in drawing border text and I would really like this to happen in section views also.

Please see examples attached for a section created on sheet 01 of a drawing and displayed on sheet 02.

This feature would also be very useful for detail views.

SecArrows.png                          SecView.bmp

John Burrill

I (along with many of my colleagues) have been waiting for the $Description and $Partnumber configuration parameters to be exposed to drawings so that we can reference them in notes and the titleblock.  This would also allow me to remove redundant custom properties that I currently have to create to maintain in order to achieve this functionality. 

Furthermore, it would facilitate interoperability because no two companies seem to use the same field name for part number despite their all seeming to mean the same thing, which means that I frequently have to rehab the metadata on cots items.  But, If $partnumber and $description supported annotations the way other custom properties are, I wouldn't have to worry about whether I'm supposed to use: PartNo, Partnumber, number, Part_number, Part Number or pn

SPR #:701790