6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2014 8:09 AM by Glenn Schroeder

dimension gap and drawing link

Martin Jisa

Hello,

I have two questions.

At first I want to ask how can I add arbitrary gap to a dimension (for example because of note or cut line)

Next I don't know how to asociate model with drawing. When I open model, click rmb and select open drawing I must select drawing from file.

Solidworks 2013

• Re: dimension gap and drawing link
          Mark Greenwell

Hi Martin,

You can set dimension gaps here in your drawing, document properties,

break dims.PNG

For your drawing question.

After creating the model if you select the drop down menu and use create drawing this will open up your template options.

After creating the drawing save as and you should have the drawing now referencing the model and vise / versa.

drawing.png

If you have already done this you may have broken references.

Thanks

Mark (SolidWorks 2014 sp3)

Martin Jisa

Hello

1)I know what you trying to explain, but for example i want to interupt extension line in the middle for any other reason(not for crossing other dimension)

2) I have already made model and drawing, now I only want to connect it together

Mark Greenwell

Hi Martin,

1) If you are comparing thiis ability to Inventor then I dont think SolidWorks does this.

2) Are the model and drawing saved in the same location or folder?

I am sure you need them in the same file location / folder to keep the link.

Thanks

Mark

Glenn Schroeder

Martin Jisa wrote:

1)I know what you trying to explain, but for example i want to interupt extension line in the middle for any other reason(not for crossing other dimension)

There is not an automatic way to do that at the present time.  You can grab the little box at the end of the extension line and drag it back past the other leader (or whatever), then insert a sketched line at the proper location that's set to the same color and line weight as the extension lines.

Martin Jisa wrote:

2) I have already made model and drawing, now I only want to connect it together

I don't use that workflow, but in order to open a drawing from the model I believe they both need to have the same file name.

Ian Worrall

To break a dimension line, select the dimension and go to the "Leaders" tab in the menu at the left of your screen.

near the bottom, you'll see a collaped box called "Break Lines". Tick the checkbox to use it.

Break Lines.PNG