5 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2017 6:23 PM by Andrew Troup

No preview during open

Bill Stadler

We just went to SW2014 SP2 a few weeks ago and started noticing that when you dbl click in explorer on an assembly that has missing parts the dialog that asks if you want to browse for the file or suppress it does not pop up, it just suppressed that file(s).  If you open it from with in SW you get the dialog.  Our VAR found a workaround which is unchecking "No preview during open" under performance.  Did that and now the dialog pops up when dbl clicking in explorer to open.

Not knowing what adverse affects unchecking this setting would have I went out to the knowledge base and searched and my head still hurts from all the hits on this setting.

My question to you, have you run into issues with having this setting unchecked?  Before I tell 100 plus users to uncheck it to fix one issue I thought I would ask before I go causing another known issue.

It is unfortunate that all these performance settings, No preview, lightweights, speedpak, draft quality.....cause more issue than any"performance gain" saved having them on.

Thanks,

Bill

• Re: No preview during open
          Kelvin Lamport

Works fine for me. Maybe it was fixed in SP3.

Bill Stadler

Hi Kelvin,  Thanks for the reply.

1. So to clarify, you have "No Preview During Open" selected.in the System Options
              2. You have an assembly that can't find a part (it was deleted moved or whatever)
              3. You dbl click on the assembly in explorer to open it and you get the dialog that ask you if you want to browse, suppress...

Currently in SP2 the only way I can get this to happen it to uncheck the "No Preview During Open" option.  I have no problem with doing so but I thought I would see if anyone else has seen other issues with it unchecked.

If it works in SP3 with it checked the would be better yet.  Got a little nervous though when I saw all the issues in the KB with it checked so I may have a dozon or so users uncheck it for a week before having the masses do it.

Thanks again for your reply.

Kelvin Lamport

Bill,

I'm sorry. I must have been doing something differently. The sequence you describe results in the missing dialogue box in both SP2 & 3.

One workaround is to drag & drop from the Windows folder.

Bill Stadler

Kelvin,

Thanks for checking.  Thanks for the workaround suggestion as well.  Since dbl clicking is a basic windows functionality and utilized by multiple applications I rather not try to change all of our users habits for the sake of a bug in SolidWorks.  I will be pursing unchecking the "No preview during open" setting.  I am guessing by the lack of replies nobody has run into any major ill affects with having this setting unchecked.

Thanks again for your replies,

Bill

Andrew Troup

The failure to check with the user whether to find files or suppress them, in favour of the second course of action, is still a problem in SW2016SP4. This is not just when you open from Explorer; it happens when you open from within Solidworks also.

Although this thread nails the solution, we had to come up with it independently, because the title of this thread refers not to the problem, but to the solution, and the content of the thread does not include the text of the missing message. A case of having to know the solution in order to find it....

To save others going through the same process, I'm going to post more comprehensively under the existing thread

"Unable to locate file" message doesn't appear.