4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2014 5:57 AM by Jesse Jensen

Organizing the material Database

Jesse Jensen

Hello Everyone,

We have a custom material database which includeds a folder for Stainless Steel, Insulation, Gaskets etc. So basically there is a folder "Enerquip Materials" with sub folders of the SS, Insulation etc.  Our Stainless Steel folder has a wide variety of materials within as different classifications, SA-240, SA-312 etc.

So my question:  Is it possible to put all the SA-240's in a folder as well as seperate folders for the other materials for ease of locating?  We already have our favorites setup with the more common materials, but having a way to sort the remaining lists would save alot of time.

Thanks,

Jess

• Re: Organizing the material Database
          Dave Laban

I've never found a way of getting additional sub-folders in the material database.  I would organise it so instead of having a single Stainless Steel folder, I would have separate folders for each major group; "Stainless Steels, SA-240", "Stainless Steels, SA-249" etc. and maybe a catch-all "Stainless Steels, Others".

Alternatively, would just sorting them alphanumerically help with searching through them?

Jesse Jensen

Thanks Dave, How can I organize it as you described?  I am not sure how to seperate the folders as you are saying.

Dave Laban

Fire up a part, right click on the material in the Feature Manager Tree and hit Edit Material.

Right click on Enerquip Materials and select New Category.  This will be what you want to rename to something like "Stainless Steels, SA-240."

Go to your original Stainless Steels category, and right click on the material you want to move and select Copy.

Head back down to your new category, right click on it and select Paste.  You can then right click and Delete the material from the original category.

You can then use the right click > Move Up / Move Down to re-order the materials alphanumerically within the category.  The categories themselves can also be right clicked > Move Up / Move Down to re-order within the library itself.

Hope that helps!