5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2014 2:34 PM by Glenn Schroeder

trouble selecting lines in drawings for dimensioning

Joseph Sensenig

I have been having a problem for a while now when striking dimensions in a drawing. The mouse cursor is very sensitive for where I click when placing a dimension. I can click directly on top of the line I want to dimension, but the line does not select. It tends to be frustrating, because I can try about 10 times sometimes till the line I want gets selected. Zooming far in on the line does not seem to help. The problem does not seem to be very consistent. One time the line will select on the first try, and next time I may need to click on the line, delete the dimension because it did not select the line, then try to reselect it, and repeat multiple times.

I was just wondering if anyone may have experienced this problem, and knows how it might be helped, such as a setting for mouse sensitivity.

Thanks.

• Re: trouble selecting lines in drawings for dimensioning
          Glenn Schroeder

I don't know of any way to adjust the mouse sensitivity, but if you go to Tools > Options > System Options > Display/Selection and check the box in the bottom section for "Dynamic highlight from graphics view", then when placing dimensions an edge will turn orange when you have your cursor in the proper place for selecting it.  From what you said about multiple tries to get the proper selections it sounds like you don't have this option turned on.

Joseph Sensenig

Thanks a lot Glenn. I did not have that turned on, and I think it will help a lot.

Glenn Schroeder

That helps with all sorts of things, not just dimensioning.  I think you'll like it.

If you're using a 3d mouse be aware that dynamic highlighting will occasionally get turned off.  As I understand it, the 3d mouse de-activates the dynamic highlighting when you're using it to manipulate the model so edges and faces aren't continuously highlighted, and then turns it back on when you finish, but sometimes it doesn't get turned back on.  Come to think of it, I don't believe that's happened since I updated to SW2014 and downloaded the latest driver for my 3d mouse, so maybe they fixed that issue.

Joseph Sensenig

I do not use a 3D mouse, but I have heard of them. Where could I get more information on them? What are there advantages, etc.? But maybe this isn't the place to ask.

Glenn Schroeder

Google 3d connexion for information on them.  I have the simple hockey-puck looking one with two programmable buttons (the SpaceNavigator, I think it was about $100) but they have others that have many more buttons and are more complex.  Anyway, it sits on the left of my keyboard and is operated by my left hand.  It has a stationary base with a knob that can be moved in any direction.  However you move the knob it's like grabbing the model and moving it, so if you lift the knob the model moves up on your monitor, pulling the knob to you zooms in, pushing it away zooms out, rotating the knob rotates the model, etc.  It takes a little getting used to, but after a while you won't want to be without it.  It also has some use for other programs, such as zooming in on pdf's to see fine print.

If you use SW much at all I highly recommend getting one, but others feel differently.  There have been several discussions here if you'd like to do a search.