4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2014 1:53 PM by Alex Sheydayi

Can't double-click edit BOM table entry in 2014 SP2?

Alex Sheydayi

I used to be able to double click on a cell in the BOM table and edit the text - delete a p/n or change a description - but since upgrading to 2014 sp2 from 2013 sp4, I haven't been able to do that. Did they change the way 2014 handles BOM tables, or is this just a bug in this release? The use of Toolbox parts pretty much means I have to edit the description and remove the cryptic p/n for every part I use - now how do I do that???......

• Re: Can't double-click edit BOM table entry in 2014 SP2?
          Glenn Schroeder

Is it only on Toolbox parts where you're having problems with this?

Alex Sheydayi

No. The behavior is more complex the more I look into it. Summary:

drawings made in 2014 SP2:

toolbox parts

item# can edit

qty#   can edit

part number  can edit

description  can't edit

vendor  can't edit

my parts

item# can edit

qty#   can edit

part number  can't edit

description  can't edit

vendor  can't edit

Drawings made in 2013 sp4 before the upgrade (when I go in now and try to edit them):

toolbox parts

item# can edit

qty#   can edit

part number  can edit

description  can edit

vendor  can't edit

my parts

item# can edit

qty#   can edit

part number  can edit

description  can edit

vendor  can edit

Further investigation....Let me first say I did not change the BOM block file between 2013/2014 versions. I went into an old drawing (21013 sp4) and I could edit the fields. Then I inserted another BOM block (now I'm in 2014 sp2 of course), and I can't edit those same fields!! Two bom blocks in the same drawing file - one I can edit the other I can't!!! Really strange.  I'm going to assume the bom block is somehow corrupted or SW has changed editability on certain field names in 2014 (or it's a bug). I'm going to continue to look into this....

-Alex

Robert D.

I just edited a B.O.M in my drawing. I have SW 2014 SP2 as well. Not sure why yours is doing that.

Alex Sheydayi

AH HAH! I have found the problem. Thank goodness for backups....

So, my current Toolbox files DID NOT have READ ONLY attributes set, but all the files in my older backup Toolbox did. So I changed the files to READ ONLY, and the problem has gone away!! Wow, that was strange. I'm guessing during the move from our old win2003 server to the new win2012 server - somehow the attributes got changed. Well, that solves the Toolbox parts issue.

Now for the differences in the part file BOM cells...

Fixed!! Now I'm confused, maybe it wasn't the read only attributes after all. I went in to Tools>Option>messages/errors/warnings>Dismissed messages and checked the ones that give that annoying message about how you are going to break the link to the existing file, yada, yada.  Now I can edit those fields again, but I get the annoying pop-up message every time. CAUTION: if you click on the "don't show again" box, the message is not shown again - but you also CANNOT EDIT THE TABLE either!!! (until you go back into the settings and toggle it again...). So it's not a "I know so don't bother me anymore" dismissal, it's a "this feature is not going to be available anymore" dismissal box....