1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 9, 2014 1:53 PM by DAN HANGER

display states in assemblies

DAN HANGER

Currently using 2014 sp2.0, but I've had this issue for several years and versions. I've been looking for the answer for a long time, but no luck yet.

Whenever I add a new display state to an assembly that has part-level colors applied, everything looks fine at first, but as soon as I switch to a previous existing display state I find that Solidworks has applied an assembly level color so that all components are one uniform color now. If I switch back to the new display state, it also has now taken on the assembly level color, and all the other display states have done the same thing. This requires me to activate all display states and remove the assembly level color applied so that I can get back to the part level colors again. I find myself cringing every time I need to add a new display state because I know what useless effort I have to go to to restore everything.

Is there some setting I have wrong? I can't find anything that controls this behaviour.

Thanks,

Dan

SW2014 sp2.0

Win7 Pro

• Re: display states in assemblies
          DAN HANGER

After spending a lot of time with this since I first posted, I found the solution, and it explains why I've never seen anybody have the same problem.

This morning I started messing with every setting I could think of to try and nail the problem down. I started by adding a new display state and looking for any clues. After making a couple changes I would 'reload' the assembly to start over again. After using 'reload' a couple times I began to use the right-click context item 'recent commands' to select 'reload'. I missed the clue the first couple times, but eventually I noticed that along with 'reload' on the recent commands, there was also a call to a 'colors' macro I had created! Years ago I had created the macro for changing part colors and assigned it to shortcut key 'F2'. Somehow, when I added a new display state it would automatically trigger the macro and change the assembly color state.

I solved the problem by changing the macro shortcut key from 'F2' to 'C'. Weird.