2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2014 3:30 PM by Bruce Cox

X_T no longer changes transparent colors to solid colors.

Bruce Cox

I draw everything in transparent colors. It gets messy looking but I know what I’m seeing. My customers however do not know what they are seeing. It’s not been a problem because exporting as x_t turned all the transparent colors solid… so I had a way to turn the model solid colors.  Apparently 2014 “fixed” that so now transparency is preserved in X_T conversions. I even exported to earlier versions of X_T and the colors are still transparent.

So, anyone got a suggestion to “toggle” the colors from transparent to solid? Anyone know a trick to make X_T convert transparent colors to solid like it worked in 2012? I experimented and IGES and Step will convert to solid colors but these formats are so slow and bloated.

2014 has made me very unhappy.

• Re: X_T no longer changes transparent colors to solid colors.
          Lenny Bucholz

You can use display properties to show display states. This means you can have a display state of transparernt or solid and then save the Parasolid X_T at that display. or make a configuration and have a dispaly state for each config.

Display States in Parts

A part's display settings are stored in display states in the part.

Part display states control the appearance, display mode, hide/show, and transparency of bodies, features, faces, and parts as shown:

Parts XX
          Bodies (solid and surface)XXXX
          Features XX
          Hideable features such as sketches, reference geometry, curves, parting lines, and routing pointsX
          Faces XX

To view display controls, click at the top of the FeatureManager Design tree to expand the Display Pane.

Display Pane closed
          Display Pane open

From the Display Pane, you can define different combinations of the settings and save them in display states.

Display State-1Display State-2

You can use the Display Pane to:

• Change display settings for a part's features and solid and surface bodies.
          • Change the appearance of the part.
          • Add new display states to the part.
          • Rename display states.
          • Change the active display state.
          • Remove all or selected appearances from the part.
          You can also control the display state mode by linking display states to configurations in the ConfigurationManager.
          • Using Display States in Parts

In the Display Pane, you can add new display states to a part, change from one display state to another, and rename display states.

• Changing a Part's Display Settings
            You can change the appearance and transparency for parts. For solid and surface bodies, you can also change the display mode (for example, wireframe or shaded), and whether the part is hidden or shown.
          • Linking Display States to Part Configurations
            Display states are listed in the bottom section of the ConfigurationManager. Select or clear Link Display States to Configurations to control the display state mode.
          • Display States and Configurations in Parts
            Display states let you specify different hide/show states, appearances, display modes, and transparencies for a part. Configurations let you create different versions of the part that change the physical aspects of the part.

Linking Display States to Part Configurations

Display states are listed in the bottom section of the ConfigurationManager. Select or clear Link Display States to Configurations to control the display state mode.

When a display state is linked to a configuration, only that display state is the available when you work with the configuration. When the configuration is unlinked, you can activate other display states stored in the part when you work with the configuration.

By default:

• New parts have a single default display state, which is not linked to any configuration.
          • Legacy parts have a display state for each configuration, which is linked to the configuration.
          It is recommended to work with display states unlinked.

To link display states:

1. In the ConfigurationManager, select a configuration.

The Display States section at the bottom of the tab indicates whether display states are linked to the configuration.

2. Do one of the following:
            • To select from any display state defined in the part, clear Link Display States to Configurations. All display states from every configuration are available. The active display state is highlighted.

If configurations have identical display states, some items listed are redundant. To list only unique display states, right-click in a blank area of the ConfigurationManager and click Purge Redundant.

• To link a display state to the configuration, double-click to select the display state and click Link Display States to Configurations.

To control display states in a design table, you must link display states to configurations.

3. To create a new display state:
            1. Right-click in an open area of the ConfigurationManager and click Add Display State. The new display state is added to the list of display states at the bottom of the tab.
            2. Define the new display state by clicking to show the Display Pane and make changes, or by making changes on screen.

Display States and Configurations in Parts

Display states let you specify different hide/show states, appearances, display modes, and transparencies for a part. Configurations let you create different versions of the part that change the physical aspects of the part.

Display States

Use display states to show different hide/show states, appearances, display modes, and transparencies for features and bodies in a part. The physical features of the part are the same from one display state to another. For example, you might use display states to:

• Hide some bodies in a multibody part while you work on others.
          • Display several related features or bodies in the same color.
          • Set some features to transparent to make it easier to see other features.
          Examples:
          Appearances that highlight mirrored flangesTransparent flange that makes it easier to see a cut extrude

Configurations

Use configurations to create different versions of a part. Features are different from one configuration to another. For example, you might create:

• A simplified configuration with some features suppressed.
          • Multiple configurations that have different sizes of the same feature.
          • Configurations that use different materials.

Examples:

Suppressed features Modified edge flanges Application of a different material

You can link display states to specific configurations:

Simplified configuration linked to display state

• Re: X_T no longer changes transparent colors to solid colors.
              Bruce Cox

Thanks for the reply Lenny.

I think a separate display state for solid colors will work. I did not know the trick that allows saving different colors in different display states is at the bottom of the color manager. It took about 15 minutes to find what I was missing thanks to Utube.

1.JPG

Unfortunately maintaining a separate DS with solid color versions of each part is way to much work. I can set the upper level assemblies to solid colors easily and that’s all the customer needs for review. But I will not be happy untill I have a command that toggles the color of parts in the assy between the solid and transparent hues of the material color. Transparentcy toggle works on parts but not so good on assy.

I tell people looking at a complex design with transparent colors is like the scene in the movie “Matrix” where the guy is staring at the screen with all the green numbers falling from top to bottom over and over. the guy says: you get used to it, after a while all you see is blonde, brunette and redhead. Haha.