4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2014 10:40 PM by Gerard Boterman

Rotate text in sketch mode (engraving)

Gerard Boterman

How simple cant it be? Frustrations ongoing.

Opening a sketch, I type a word, e.g. FRONT.

As per manual, after placing text I highlight the text 'FRONT' to rotate it, default is 30°.

now each letter rotates, not what I want, I want to rotate the complete word.

Now I got several text indications that need to be readeable from the outside of a cylindrical plate at 60°.

So I need the copy around a center point. The text is U1, U2, U3 up to U6.

Each text need to be at a 60° rotated angle.

I created these texts in one sketch, then edit the text to rotate, same problem, the U and the number rotate individual.

I tried finding help in manuals, Internet, it seems simply impossible to do this task within a minute or less.

Why can't I simply rotate a text in SolidWorks without having to read manuals and do internet searches, still finding no answers.

Anybody, please?

• Re: Rotate text in sketch mode (engraving)
          Glenn Schroeder

I rarely use text in a sketch, or the rotate command, but to get what you want I think you will need to place a construction line in your sketch first, then place the text on this line.  Or at least I believe that's one way to do it.  Someone else may, and probably will, have a better idea, but it's worth a shot.

• Re: Rotate text in sketch mode (engraving)
              Gerard Boterman

Thank Glen, I will give that a go. I have not seen that option anywhere mentioned yet.

Someone told me to use blocks, this how it ended up:

I created one text, made it into a block, rotated and located the text block and rotate pattern it around. Brilliant, all I have to do now is edit the text in each block. Well, that was another frustration, now all text changed instead of being able to have individual text in each block.

So, another half hour of trial and error down the drain.

Did you know to do this in KeyCreator all takes just one minute . . . simply enter text, center and locate, copy around and edit the text. Then extrude-cut. That all. No contrains, sketch modes, etc. Just doing the job.

But I will keep trying, thanks for your efforts - Gerard (very frustrated now with bloody SW)