6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2018 4:12 PM by Ashok Anumula

MOTION STUDY CHANGED COLOR OF COMPONENTS

Tom Mathieson

hi All,

was wondering if anyone can help me with this. for whatever reason motion study has changed the color of one of my componets, of which i have a few in this assembly.  so the same componet shows up as yellow in some places, grey in others. i have not changed the appearance, except to hide and show the parts.  i've cleared all overrides in the Feature Manager Tree, and all the parts show the correct color.  as soon as i run the simulation, they change back.  i've tried changing them in the Motion Study Tree also, same thing happens.  any ideas?  kind of hard to explain to the boss why hte part is yellow here, then moves here and is grey...

thanks in advance

Tom

• Re: MOTION STUDY CHANGED COLOR OF COMPONENTS
          Jim Boland

Find the part in the MotionManager and expand it to see the sub-keys.  Look at the Appearance line and see if there are any keys in this line.  If you find a key, then it is probably your problem and was "accidently"recorded when you thought you were doing something else.

Once you have the keys in a motion study, you have to make changes to those keys and not back in the FeatureManager.

Tom Mathieson

Hi Jim,

thanks for the reply.  it a real mystery, or joke.  all i have done to the componets is to hide them.  as soon as i do that, it changes the color to grey, instead of yellow, when they appear.  it really a stupid thing.  this is what happens

- i have the part hidden when the sim starts. 

- at 10 seconds, it appears at correct color, and stays the correct color until the end at 30 seconds

- however, i have to hide it again at 25 seconds.  as soon as i add the key to hide at 25 secs, it turns grey  when it is 'on' at 10 seconds.

if i delete the 2nd hide key (25 sec), it goes back to the proper color, but of course the component is visible for the last 5 seconds, which it cannot be.

this is  a mess.  why does it change color? (rethorical question) i have spent a too many hours trying to sort this out and what little hair i have i'm about to pull out!!!

really disappointed in this.  what should take a couple hours is taking a whole afternoon.  here is what my keys look like (not allowed to upload assembly).  guess it time for an incindent report....

AnyC01967.JPGAnyC01965.JPGAnyC01964.JPG

Jared Conway

Does it happen in a brand new study?

Matt McMillan

I'm having the same problem, I'm thinking its possible you have to do one key at a time until solidworks nails this bug.  that means remove the assembly color it plops on your part after you add a key, and then replace the key, every time.  Horsey-dodo

Adrian Bogdan

Hi,

I had teh same problem with lots of different assemblies. I believe it is a SW bug. I mostly had this problem with SW2011 and 2015. I have upgraded to SW2016 and I didn't got these problems. I found a few workarounds:

1. Recreate the assembly, if possible without using advanced mates (I noticed it created problems when using these types). Try to create a problem without error and fully constraint, manipulate the models with exploded views(otherwise it increases the risk of error in the study)

2. Simplify the assembly; Make a save as of the assembly and delete the unecessary items

3. Make a motion study up to the first hidden key (in some cases could work with the hide motion, you will be able to do this when the appearance is kept from the begining of the study when using the calculate button) - > create another study with the hide option -> create a study from where the part is fully shown onward.

The best option would be to upgrade to a newer version.

P.S.: Unfortunatelly if you can't get around witht he above anothwer trick that worked for me was to delete the camera and create a new one or the better one would be without camera (unfortunatelly it doesn't give the best results).

Good luck with this headache

Ashok Anumula

I have the same problem. I have not placed a key to change color but it happened. As Jim noted, I navigated to the component in Motionstudy and looked at appearance had one key at t=0 with a color that is different than what is defined in assembly. Since it is t=0 time key you can delete, I removed the appearance on key and when I ask to recalculate the study it reverts back. I tried to force it back by adding a second key t=0.25s and asking it to remove appearance but failed. (The component was a sub assembly consisting of two different parts with each having its own color. Motion study was masking the whole sub assembly under one color).

I never could get it to correct (not change colors), so decided to delete and start new motion study. Not efficient, but that was the only way I could figure out. I find motion study to be clumsy, if you make a mistake it is hard to undo things and I have to start afresh.

Ashok