AnsweredAssumed Answered

simulation - web roller contact no penetration - not working ( it is penetrating)?

Question asked by Sharath Kumar Ananda Kumar on Apr 3, 2014
Latest reply on Apr 4, 2014 by Jared Conway

Hello All,

It would be of great help if you could advise me on why solidworks is not behaving the way I want it to for the following way.

I had modelled the roller to be of 2.9 inch dia solid extruded part. Opened an assembly, added 4 of these same rollers. Provided mates to sit it in the location I would want. created a new part inside the assembly (web) which would go around the 4 rollers with an offset of 0.0005 inch and extruded it as a surface.

Created a non-linear dynamic study.

I am trying to find stress distribution of a thin web ( linear elastic 600000psi - E, v - 0.3; made as surface and defined as shell elements 0.001 inch thin and shell meshed using midsurface) passing through 4 roller ( made rigid) with no penetration contact type provided ( no penetration, cylindercal surface of roller in first set and all the bottom/top surfaces of the web in the second set; friction of 0.3 ; surface to surface contact).

The roller can revolve around its own axis ( I provided an advanced fixture on cylinderical faces with 0 displacement on both axial and radial direction, thus allowing it to rotated along its axis).

The loads provided are supposed to be 1000 psi on one end and 2 inch/second on the other end of the web. Both these loads are to be applied as a linear load between 0 and 5 seconds. Thereafter being a constant load from 5 to 20 seconds ( I provided pressure load on right side and displacement with time in advanced fixture on the left side to accomplish the same).

I then meshed it using standard mesh of 0.25 inch , 0.25 inch. allowed large displacement and large strain. The program was solved using FFEplus (iterative) solver.

When I run the simulation, I could see that the web is penetrating into the roller and coming out from the other side ( It is just not the visulization that seems to have penetrated). The same happens even if I have a single roller with web over it with 90 degree rotation between the two ends of the web. The same happens even if I make the model exactly contacting on each other or if I have a proved a gap intially between the web and roller.

Kindly advise on why the web is penetrating into the roller? Thanks a lot for your support

PS: The assembly model has been attached as image file for reference.

Attachments

Outcomes