3 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2014 3:41 PM by Jerry Steiger

Design Study - Mom of Inertia goal?

James Buckle

Hi all,

I'd like to carry out a design study on a fairly complex rotor, aiming to maximise the inertia in one axis. I cannot find inertia as one of the sensors - am I out of luck or just blind? Seems like it should just fall out of the mass properties?

Thanks!

• Re: Design Study - Mom of Inertia goal?
          Jerry Steiger

James,

What do you mean by sensors? Are you trying to use Simulation to get the answer? If so, you might want to move this question to the Simulation forum.

Moments of Inertia show up very nicely under the Mass Properties tool in SolidWorks for parts and for assemblies.

Jerry S.

James Buckle

Hi Jerry, thanks for the reply!

Sensors in the generic form - i.e. something that collects results from a study or simulation (sorry, I have a wide background - terminology gets re-used!).

I'm not trying to use simulation, I'm trying to use the design study and while yes moms show up very nicely under mass properties if you go through the normal toolbar-mass props route, they don't show up under design study. Only mass shows up under design study. I'd have expected that, since it seems to be part of the same mass properties calculation it would be fairly easily accessible but I can't find out how. For a super simple example, try a design study to maximise moment of inertia of a simple flywheel about the rotational axis while minimising mass and diameter?

Jerry Steiger

James,

Unfortunately, I know nothing about doing a design study. From what little I gleaned from the Help, it looks like you have found a serious shortcoming; moments of inertia would certainly seem to be one of the items folks would want to use as sensors. Unless someone more knowledgeable pipes up with a solution, I think you will need to put in an enhancement request and pray.

Jerry S.

Jerry S.