17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2014 5:33 PM by JOHN GEORGE

Customising the title block

Jeroen Janssen Andeweg

Hi all,

I am trying to customise a title block, all goes well until I want to insert the property 'Material'.

When I click the button 'Link to property' and go to 'Edit Custom Property List' I can see the property 'Material'

SldwEditCustPropList.png

As stated in the help I can only 'Add', 'Delete', 'Move Up' and 'Move Down'

How do I insert this property?

Many thanks for your time in this,

Jeroen

• Re: Customising the title block
          Steve Martens

Hello Jeroen,

create a note in the title block, then look around for the button that allows the linking to desired CP.  Left-ish, near the topish.

Daen Hendrickson

Jeroen,

The custom properties in a solidworks file can be anything of your choosing. Your "Edit Custom Properties List" is simply a text list of custom property names that you use often. Having them in the "Edit Custom Properties List" list eliminate the need to retype and also helps ensure consistency. When you click the list box of a new Property Name what shows is the "Edit Custom Property List".

A general best practice approach might be:

• set up your file templates with a standard selection of custom properties. This is a "per company" list and may even vary between templates. Setting up in the template creates consistency and saves the redundancy of re-creating for each new file.
            • Your "Edit Custom Properties List" should also contain these custom properties plus additional custom properties you might use often but not every time and don't want in your template. I organize my "Edit Custom Properties List" so that the Optional properties are at the top and the properties in my templates are below. That way I don't have to scroll and hunt for the optional ones. I also have the list ordered in the same sequence as the properties are listed in my templates. That way if I ever have to manually add my standard custom properties I can just pick next, pick next, pick next without having to see the order of my other files. Does order matter? Not from a data integrity standpoint. But it does matter for consistency. I can open any file and in a moment's glance I can find the particular data I am interested in.
            • Once you have the custom properties established in your file, then you can either manually edit their value or set them equal to something in the file - just as Steve showed you above in linking the custom property "material" to the file property "material". You can also set them equal to global variables established in equations or to dimensions in the part by simply clicking that dimension in the graphics area.
            • It seems a bit of a disconnect but often the only way to get data from a part/assembly to a drawing is to perform a "double hop" of setting that data value into a custom property and then referencing the custom property in the drawing. I think it would be much cleaner if you could directly link to the part "material" in a drawing but SW doesn't work this way.

Daen

Bernie Daraz

One of the best hints I can offer here is the one that gave me the most help when I started customizing the title block, have a part that currently has all of the custom properties already defined in it on the drawing sheet you are trying to create/save as a standard.

When you save out the template AND the drawing format these views will be removed automatically by the saving process. Choose your names at the save carefully so you will know what to look for later. There are also two selections that should be made in the SW menu VIEW tab, VIEW ANNOTATION LINKS and VIEW ANNOTATION ERRORS. These will insure that you will see that the property links are correct and properly linked. These are viewable when you are in EDIT SHEET mode.

That said PART PROPERTIES can be defined in a few ways, through the FILE PROPERTIES menu is one of them. I prefer the PROPERTY TAB BUILDER (PTB). I would rather be 'prompted' to enter data than try to remember what is needed. Drop down selection boxes are not available from the FILE PROPERTIES but they are from the PTB. The PTB can be set to use text files for common data entry notes, descriptions, etc. It can also be easily linked to Excel and Access files too. These features allow you to set these up an store them on a network location for team use.

You can define PROPERTIES for PART, ASSEMBLY and DRAWING. I would ignore the Edit Custom Property list for the time being.

I use the following rule to set up templates, if I have to enter something twice I feel it deserves a custom property. Within reason of course.

Jeroen Janssen Andeweg

I am trying to customise a title block, all goes well until I want to insert the property 'MakeOrBuy'.

When I click the button 'Link to property' and go to 'Edit Custom Property List' I can see the property 'MakeOrBuy'

SldwEditCustPropList.png

As stated in the help I can only 'Add', 'Delete', 'Move Up' and 'Move Down'

How do I insert this property?

Many thanks for your time in this,

Jeroen