10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2017 4:35 PM by Glenn Schroeder

Slot callout in 2014

Justin Hoidahl

The new slots in the Hole Wizard callout differently than slots that were created by using the slot sketch. Slots from the Hole Wizard are overall length and sketched slots are center to center. Is there any way to fix this? From what I can tell the only option I have is to not use the new calloutformat file.

• Re: Slot callout in 2014
          Robert Lankford

I have wondered this too. Granted I usually call them out overall regardless, but there are definately instances where CTC is more important... Like a shaft with a tentioner...

gjk,gji,..PNG

Robert Lankford

I generally just don't use hole callout if I want center to center measurements and then give a blown up slot detail with the ctc measurements.

Dams (Since my name is Robert too) are you talking about in hole wizard?

Robert Lankford

Im assuming your talking about how a sketch slot gives this option...

Capture3rvc23rv.PNG

and there is no such option in hole wizard.

Sam Bailey

This problem led to a bad set of parts for us.  Hole Callout for one of these slots shows the same end-to-end dimension.  The machinist assumed it was a center-to-center dimension.  We thought it was the machinist's fault until he questioned numbers not adding up, so that relationship is strained.  Even with the machinist pushing this to the front of the queue we're about to miss a ship date waiting for this part.  I now need to go through all our parts to look for any other slots that may have this problem so I can manually type in dimensions on the drawings.

This definitely needs to be fixed.

Glenn Schroeder

Sam Bailey wrote:

This problem led to a bad set of parts for us. Hole Callout for one of these slots shows the same end-to-end dimension. The machinist assumed it was a center-to-center dimension. We thought it was the machinist's fault until he questioned numbers not adding up, so that relationship is strained. Even with the machinist pushing this to the front of the queue we're about to miss a ship date waiting for this part. I now need to go through all our parts to look for any other slots that may have this problem so I can manually type in dimensions on the drawings.

This definitely needs to be fixed.

There's your problem.  If he wasn't sure he should have asked.  In the future you might want to consider placing dimensions on the slots instead of using a callout.  That should remove any ambiguity.  But don't get me wrong.  I call mine out as total length also.  I haven't had an issue with it.....yet.

Dan Pihlaja

I run under the assumption that, if ANYONE looking at the print (who has been properly trained) has to ask any questions (edit: or make any assumptions) at all of the designer/detailer, then the print is not complete.

Glenn Schroeder

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

I run under the assumption that, if ANYONE looking at the print (who has been properly trained) has to ask any questions (edit: or make any assumptions) at all of the designer/detailer, then the print is not complete.

I agree.  I just meant that if the machinist wasn't sure he should have asked instead of proceeding on an assumption.