11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2017 11:01 AM by John Berghuijs

Radius Dimension Style Problem

Stephen Reed

I have this problem occasionally with internal radius (concave) dimensions where SW insists on displaying with an extension line rather than the arrow directly to the object line.  Hard to describe but please see the attached screen shot.  What I want is it to display like the exernal (convex) radius in the lower left of the same screen shot.  So far, I can't seem to find a setting that controls this.  We are using SW2012 sp5.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

SW_radius_dim.jpg

• Re: Radius Dimension Style Problem
          Matthew Lorono

There is a setting in SolidWorks 2013 Tools>Options...>Document Properties>Radius that allows you to control the default behavior in three ways, "Legacy", "Smart arrows follow position of text", and the new option "Smart arrows attach to arcs and point away from dimension".  Use this last option.

Tom Helsley

Matthew Lorono wrote:

There is a setting in SolidWorks 2013 Tools>Options...>Document Properties>Radius that allows you to control the default behavior in three ways, "Legacy", "Smart arrows follow position of text", and the new option "Smart arrows attach to arcs and point away from dimension".  Use this last option.

Not only do the last two options set the default for the entire document, but they also prevent users from changing any other radial dimensions on the drawing to a different placement style.  When this functionality first came out, I thought it would be great, so I changed the templates.  But then I started getting a lot of calls from my engineers.  They couldn't get some of the radial dimensions to appear correctly even after clicking on the arrow head to flip it.  Turned out that setting was preventing the user from overriding the "default" setting.  BLAH!  So I changed the templates back to Legacy.

Now, more to Stephen's question, very often, in the case of the R101.3 dimension, I want to put the dimension in much closer - inside the extended radius.  The trouble is the dimension almost never displays correctly.  I get all kinds of dimensioning no-no's such as missing shoulder on the leader (ANSI) if the "Dimension to inside of arc" option is turned on for the dimension, etc..  Take a look at my illustrations below...

Improper & Undesireable examples:

Radius Dimension1.png

Radius Dimension2.png

Radius Dimension3.png

Radius Dimension4.png

Desired & Proper example:

Radius Dimension5.png

Notice that the leader is going directly from the arc, without an extension line, through the center of the radius, to a shoulder that is inside the extended radius of the arc.  I had to manipulate the bitmap image (flip the leader, align the flipped leader to the arc, then draw the shoulder) to get this.  I could not get Solidworks to do this for me at all.

Stephen Reed

Tom,

I saw your reply just after replying to Matt. Yes it is a bit frustrating, dimensioning should not be a difficult thing to achieve. I found that if I pull the dimension far enough off the feature line, it will do what I want but then the dimension is sticking way to far off the view (in my opinion anyway).  In your example, the last item labled "What I really want" is exactly what I want but can't get SolidWorks to do. 

Minor issue I guess so I'll stop my whining now.

Thanks,

Steve

Stephen Reed

Matt,

Alas, we are still on SW2012.  Since I don't see what you are describing, I assume it is a new feature with SW2013.  The good news is that we are planning to updgrade to SW2014 in the coming weeks.  I can work around it for that long.

Thanks,

Steve

Glenn Schroeder

Matthew Lorono wrote:

Thank you Matthew,

It's been bugging me that since I updated to SW2015 I haven't been able to get the arrows to change directions on radius and diameter dimensions.  They would always point toward the centerpoint.  I stumbled on this Discussion, and selecting "Legacy" fixed the problem.  Now I can change them to suit the situation.

Tom dunn

See if this will work for you. select dimesion, hit leaders tab, and then check dimesion to inside of arc.   Tom