5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2014 8:20 AM by Richard Hall

eDRAWINGS IS NOT THE VIEWER

Richard Hall

I have a users machine that has lost edrawings as the viewer in EPDM.  eDrawings is installed on the computer but will not open any SW files and it throws an error (see below) if you try to open one.  I ran a repair but it didn't correct the issue.  FYI, when the user hits "view" on the file in EPDM, it will open but is a tiff or jpg file and it is blurry.  Any ideas besides reinstall?

Thanks in advance.

This is the error when trying to open a SW file.  If you select "ok" or click "x" you get the next window and edrawings remains.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Message was edited by: Richard Hall

• Re: eDRAWINGS IS NOT THE VIEWER
          Charley Saint

Richard,

Check the viewers setting in their user settings in the administration tool, it should look like this:

2014-03-26_1432.png

Michael Marshall

Richard,

Have any macros in the SW file that the user is trying to open?

We ran in to a very similar (if not the *exact* same) error message late last year. It seemed to happen to us out of the blue...suddenly one person couldn't view *some* SW files in either the Preview tab nor in eDrawings proper, but others they could.

Then another person started having the same problem...then another.

In our case, it was traced back to a macro in the SW part/ass'y/drawing templates...we updated the templates (or "start parts") to include a specific macro. From that point forward, any new files that were created using that template would be unviewable in eDrawings by anyone. If someone added that macro to an older file, it would suddenly become unviewable.

I don't remember the specifics of the macro...but the advice we were given was to remove the macro from the templates, and remove the macro from the newly-created SW files as we ran in to them. This worked w/o issue, though we were disappointed that we couldn't embed that macro in every file.

My recollection is that it wasn't specific to our macro, just that eDrawings didn't like having a macro in the SW file. Weird.

Richard Hall

Thanks for all the help folks,  I had another issue I was working so I asked my VAR what the deal was.  He took a look and found out that on this particular machine, that our IT had left the eDrawings install turned on in the SWIM for the SW install and that this causes and issue when EPDM tries to install eDrawings.  So his solution was to remove all instances of the eDrawings folders from the system, perform an uninstall, turn off eDrawings in the SWIM and perform a reinstall from EPDM.  I will make sure that we have eDrawings turned off in the SWIM from now on.