9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2014 12:51 PM by Jared Conway

Import meshing from simulation to flow simulation?

Tory Solheim

Hello,

We are investigating using flow simulation for some of my company's products and I have a question about the flow simulation meshing.  First first impression is why in flow simulation is the available mesh squares???  I have never seen this in our time of using similar products in the past.  Is there a way to bring in a tetrahedral mesh from simulation into flow simulation?  Honesty I have not played with it that much but I can't seem to find a way to bring in any meshing tools into flow simulation besides making the square meshing smaller... If someone could let me know if this is possible and point me in the right direction it would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

• Re: Import meshing from simulation to flow simulation?
          Bill McEachern

Why would you want a tet mesh in a flow solution? What do you think it would get you? An orthogonal mesh if far more efficient in terms of convergence. The meshing in flow is pretty sphisticated and should not be abandoned lightly. There is a publication on how and why it works the way it does. I posted it in another thread. You can try looking for it.

• Re: Import meshing from simulation to flow simulation?
              Tory Solheim

Bill,

Thank you for your response.  What I am struggling with is the convergence.  Even with the mesh cranked up the convergence bounces around extremely bad (I will post a picture once I get back to my work PC.)  It seemed to get slightly better with increased meshing so I thought possibly the orthogonal meshing was not getting me the resolution I needed.  The high flow rate areas of my media are still very course even with high settings.  For a little background we live on the other side of things being a suction filter (0 pressure at the inlet and a set flow rate at the outlet and determine pressure drop to pull fluid through housing and a media.)  Again I will post a pic tomorrow to see if anyone has seen something similar trying to determine vacuum required to determine a flow rate. Thanks again