1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 23, 2014 11:47 AM by Jim Sculley

Bringing in redundant parts

Steve Krause

We have a large assembly in Enterprise.   We pass a few sub assemblies to an outside contract design company to use in another large assembly that they are designing for us.  They are not using Enterprise.   Now they pass the design back to me.   I want to make a new directory in Enterprise and drop the complete assembly that they created into that new directory.  When I do that Enterprise tells me that I have redundant parts, already in Enterprise.   (Can't remember whether it tells me at the time I load it locally or when I try to do the initial check it in --- I'm writing this from home on the weekend and can't experiment today).

What is the process to solve this problem?  Is there a way to get all redundant parts in the new contractor's assembly to point back to the original parts that we gave to him?  I am going to assume that all the parts that we passed to the contractor have not been edited by the contractor and not edited by us since we passed them the parts originally, although I know that is a possibility. 

• Re: Bringing in redundant parts
          Jim Sculley

Add only the new assembly created by the outside vendor to the vault.  If you try to check it in at this point, it will complain about files being outside the vault.  To correct the problem, use Tools...Update References which allows you to replace any reference with a different file.  It can even search the entire vault for files with the same name or add any new files that the vendor created.

Jim S.