7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2007 12:54 PM by Kevin Silbert

CosmosWorks admin image apply service pack

We've been using Solidworks 2006 and have updated to SP5.1. I dothe admin installations from my PC, which doesn't even have andSolidworks software installed.
      Recently, our users have wanted to make use of a CosmosWorks andCosmosMotion license we have, so I've been looking at creating anadmin image for each of these.

I've created the image to two separate locations using msiexec /a,with no problems. I'm trying to apply SP5.1 to the admininstallations, and it's a no-go. I get the long command strung outthere to do it and get a dialog that says:

"1: The InstallScript engine is missing from this machine. Ifavailable, please run ISScript.msi, or contact your supportpersonnel for further assistance."

I already installed the ISScript8.msi that was on the CD. with noluck. I tried using a very stripped down machine, with almost nosoftware installed, and still got that error.

Any suggestions?
        • CosmosWorks admin image apply service pack
          Kevin Silbert
          I last experimented with this for SP1.0, and in doing so, I came to the conclusion that the image for CosmosWorks and Motion cannot be patched; that each user must use the .msp file to patch their installation. I create a new image and overwrite the original one, in case a new user needs to install, but otherwise the .msp file is used. I do the update via a batch file that I tell everyone to run; SW and Cosmos areas are below:
          -------------------------
          Echo Patching SolidWorks 2007 SP2
          msiexec /i "\\ajax\...\Images\SW\english_i386_solidworks.msi" ENABLEPERFORMANCE=0 INSTALLWDS=0 SERVERLIST="25734@servername" SOLIDWORKSSERIALNUMBER="xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx" SWMIGRATE="SolidWorks 2007 SP1.0" UPGRADESWINSTALL=1 TOOLBOXFOLDER="\\ajax\...\SolidWorks\Common Data" /qb /Lme c:\SWUPG2.txt

Echo Updating CosmosWorks to SP2.0
          msiexec /p "\\ajax\...\Patches\2007_SP2.0\cw2007_sp10220_i_Eng\cw2007_sp10220_i_Eng.msp" /qb /Lim c:\cwUpgradelog.txt

Echo Updating Cosmos Motion to SP2.0
          msiexec /p "\\ajax\...\Patches\2007_SP2.0\cm2007_sp10220_i_Eng\cm2007_sp10220_i_Eng.msp" /qb /Lim c:\cmUpgradelog.txt
          -------------------------

But I could be wrong; just my observations...
          -Kevin
              How did you create the new image? I can't even get that to work.That's when I get the failure message I quoted...
                  Kevin Silbert
                  Sorry- I didn't pick up on that. Looking at my notes, I originally made the images off the CDs for SP1.0 with these commands:
                  (Disc 5 insert)
                  msiexec /a f:\cwwi\COSMOSWorks\i386_COSMOSWorks_English.msi
                  (Disc 5 insert)
                  msiexec /a f:\cwwi\COSMOSMotion\i386_COSMOSMotion_English.msi

Then everyone installed with these commands:
                  Echo Installing COSMOSWorks SP0.0
                  msiexec /i "\\ajax\...\Images\CosmosWorks\i386_COSMOSWorks_English.msi" CWUPGRADEINSTALL=1 LICENSEHOSTNAME="server" LICENSEPORT="7585" SELECTIONWITHLICENSE=2 SOLIDWORKSPATH="C:\Program Files\SolidWorks" SWDISTSUBTYPE=0 /qb /Lim c:\CosmosInstlog.txt

Echo Installing COSMOS Motion SP0.0
                  msiexec /i "\\ajax\...\Images\Motion\i386_cOSMOSmotion_English.msi" CWUPGRADEINSTALL=1 LICENSEHOSTNAME="server" LICENSEPORT="7585" SELECTIONWITHLICENSE=2 SOLIDWORKSPATH="C:\Program Files\SolidWorks" SWDISTSUBTYPE=0 /qb /Lim c:\CosmosMotionInstlog.txt

And when it was time to patch, the commands I mentioned previously...
                  Echo Updating CosmosWorks to SP2.0
                  msiexec /p "\\ajax\...\Patches\2007_SP2.0\cw2007_sp10220_i_Eng\cw2007_sp10220_i_Eng.msp" /qb /Lim c:\cwUpgradelog.txt

Echo Updating Cosmos Motion to SP2.0
                  msiexec /p "\\ajax\...\Patches\2007_SP2.0\cm2007_sp10220_i_Eng\cm2007_sp10220_i_Eng.msp" /qb /Lim c:\cmUpgradelog.txt

But this leaves the question of how the image got patched. I'm a but fuzzy here; I want to say that maybe I didn't patch the image after all; it's still stuck at 1.0. But it sounds like this wasn't your question anyway... Hope this helps!
                  -Kevin
                      Kevin,

Well, if the image is still at SP1 (or SP0), that would explain it.With SW2006, at least, the users can't update to a later SP untilthe image is patched to that SP. Maybe Cosmos doesn't have thatlimitation (control)?

Also, my CosmosWorks and CosmosMotion stuff is SP0 as far as I cantell. At least it tells me it's SP0 when I go to try to install iton a machine without Solidworks installed.
                          Kevin Silbert
                          Judging by the date on my image folders, I'd have to say that the image is indeed right where it was installed (SP1 in my case). Now that I'm thinking about it, I recall deciding that any new users would run batch files to install from the original image and immediately run the .MSP files to patch to the current version.

I have whined in the past about the discrepancy between SolidWorks and Cosmos (and all the other addins) in terms of installation and patching. In 2006, I had everyone install via the HTML code, and (mostly) everyone automatically updated when I updated the image. But this only worked for SW; Cosmos and any addins had to be installed and patched independently, occasionally leaving things out-of-sync with users that weren't vigilant. So this time around in 2007, I made all install and updates batch file procedures, but even then, you have to work around differences between the products- whether the image can be patched, or each installation must be patched. Particularly when you throw the SW Explorer, PDMWorks, DWG Editor, and eDrawings into the mix... What a mess! I've got a table that shows each product, what it takes to make the image, what it takes to patch the image, and how the users get upgraded. Come to think of it, maybe I'll attach that file in case it helps someone...

-Kevin