14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2014 4:38 AM by Chris Buckley

Mapping & Printing

Chris Buckley

After drawings are created in Solidworks 2012, they are then saved as .dwg's and saved into AutoCAD. Mapping is set up to match AutoCAD layers (colours & line types) but when printing they keep coming out in colour. Current AutoCAD setting will print normal Autocad drawings in Black & White but keeps printing the converted Solidworks drawings in colour. Has anyone ever experienced this problem before. Have exhausted all possible solutions besides changing AutoCAD pen settings? Can anyone help please?

• Re: Mapping & Printing
          Joe Kuzich

I once ran into a situation that sounds similar.  In  AutoCAD it ended up being that they somehow where using a .stb file rather than a .ctb file for the plot style table.  We had ctb files set up to print how we wanted and somehow that person had a similarly named stb file that was not set up.

Christopher Estelow

I always change the pen style to Monochrome so it always prints in black and white.

Chris

Anna Wood

Chris,

Post an example dxf/dwg, that does not print properly, for us to look at.  Use the Advanced Editor link in the upper right of the dialog box.

Cheers,

Anna

Chris Buckley

Hi Anna,

Please find one of our typical AutoCAD .dwg's attached which was converted from Solidworks.

Thank you.

Joe Kuzich

Chris,

Does your ctb file account for the strange 255,255,0 color or is it accounting for the standard yellow?  I get the cyan and yellow coming up as color because they use that other definition for their colors.  Yours may be different since we have different plot settings.  Try blanket selecting everything and changing the color to ByLayer.  The drawing looks the same but now my plot settings recognize the colors.

Chris Buckley

Joe,

Did discover changing the colours to "ByLayer" earlier, previously that strange 255,255,0 was appearing. In AutoCAD, Cyan (solid lines) and Yellow (hidden lines) are the two main colours we use across the company, I don't understand what you mean when you say   "I get the cyan and yellow coming up as color because they use that other definition for their colors" could you elaborate a bit more please.

Thank you.

Joe Kuzich

Sure thing Chris.  I feel like this is so much harder to explain in words than it really is, so please bare with me. 

When I went to print the drawing from AutoCAD, the way you had it posted, it would print the colors that appear to be yellow and cyan in color and what appeared to be red as black with the thickness that my .ctb had defined for the color red.  So red was printing how it should but not the others. 

When I looked in the 'layer properties manager' the layer colors are defined as red, yellow & cyan, which the .ctb is programmed for.  However when I click on the actual lines in the drawing, only the one that appears to be red is actually red.  The ones that appear to be yellow & cyan are actually 255,255,0 & I think the other was 0,255,255.  It is as if the conversion from SW to ACAD changes the individual lines to a custom color selection that just looks like yellow & cyan.  The color of the line is wrong, but not the color of the layer.  Since they are not the normal programmable ACAD colors they print as the color appears. 

So, I just selected everything with a window and changed all the colors at one time to bylayer (using color control button, or you can use the properties).  It takes about 5 seconds.  That way the colors are set to those in the layers red=red yellow=yellow & cyan=cyan, which the .ctb recognizes.  Then it printed just fine for me.  Everything came out in black with the correct line thickness.