5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2007 4:03 PM by Tammy Love

How do you create and Indented BOM?

Anthony Offredi
      Hello -

I am trying to configure the "contains" tab toincorporate some of the columns I created.  However I don'tsee where I can change the column listing within the admin tool. Any suggestions? 
        • How do you create and Indented BOM?
          Designer Designer
          Could you give us some screen shot on what you are looking for ?
          Maybe your current BOM using solidworks ( only ).

-DD
              Anthony Offredi
              Unfortunately, we are an electro-mechanical group, so I cannot usethe solidworks BOM exclusively.  I would like to know how toadd columns in the "contains"  (ie indented bom) toprovide a granular breakdown like the BOM tab.

Also - I have added "virtual" parts to address theelectronics and software portion of our business, and that seems tobe handling the relationships well within the assembly.
              Designer Designer
              JUST POST WHAT YOU HAVE. IN ANY FORMAT.
              SO WE CAN KNOW WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.

-DD
                  Anthony Offredi

I attached the screen captures.  I am looking to combine thetwo tabs into one so that the BOM will be indented, as shown in thecontains tab.  Joy and I did discuss the issue and she told methe "contains" tab cannot be modifed (adding morecolumns) at this point and told me about a work around using theSolidworks Drawing to get the indented BOM.  

The issues with the Solidworks Drawing BOM are  that the datais not real time, does not pull in the data from PDMWE (withoutcustomization), and is not user friendly to non-Solidworksusers.

Has anyone been able to find an acceptable solution so that PDMWEwill show an indented BOM?
                      Tammy Love
                      I have not found an "acceptable" solution, but I havefound somewhat of a workaround during a translation from Enterpriseto our accounting Software.  When you are viewing the Containstab for an assembly, you can hit the "Open asSpreadsheet" (Excel icon) to see the Contains list WITH alevel association.  You'll see the Level column in Excel. The levels correspond to the indentation of the BOM.  Ofcourse this is not a complete BOM since it does not contain thequantity values, etc...  At this point what I do is go to theBOM tab and also open that in Excel.  So you've got twospreadsheets open and between them you have all the info you needfor an indented BOM.  Internally we have written a script thatmerges the two spreadsheets into one.  Although you cannotimport this merged spreadsheet intelligently back into Enterprise,you can save it and add it as a reference file to your assembly. 

One more quick tip...DO NOT SORT THE EXCEL DATA FROM THE CONTAINSTAB!!