22 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2014 1:02 PM by Elia Shemesh

Solid Works not recognize read-only file.

Elia Shemesh

Hello everyone,

I am a very hard problem, I'm currently towards the end of project in my study.

And in my old computer I did all the blueprints Solid Works, including assembly and drawing.

I purchased a new computer and I installed the solid, tried to open the assembly but unfortunately it does not recognize the files that I downloaded from the solid. Solid destroys all assembly and not opens it in the right manner.

All the files that I downloaded from the SolidWorks are stored in my USB. I do not know what the problem is.

I need help please!

• Re: Solid Works not recognize read-only file.
          Anna Wood

Copy the files to your hard drive. Open the copies from the hard drive.

Cheers,

Anna

Elia Shemesh

It does not work, is still that same problem.

Just as from USB.

Anna Wood

Zip your files and post them to the forum for us to look at.  Use the Advanced Editor link in the upper right of the dialog box.

Cheers,

Anna

Elia Shemesh

Hi,

Which files need to make for ZIP?

I do not see the possibility of an advanced editor, I can get a link to download the files if you want.

Anna Wood

Elia,

Zip up the files from your USB that you are having trouble opening in SolidWorks and post them here.  Use the Advanced Editor link in the upper right of the dialog post to get an option to Attach Files.

AE.png

Cheers,

Anna

Elia Shemesh

Ok, I see.

I have attached a rar file to dialogue.

Because I'm from Israel so everything there is in Hebrew, if there is a problem in identifying I'll try to help.

Anna Wood

They seem to open fine on my computer.  Move all your sldasm, sldprt and slddrw into the same folder on your hard drive and try to open.

If it does not work please post pictures of what you are seeing on screen that is not working porpoerly.

Cheers,

Anna

Pravash Sahu

Hello Elia,

Welcome to the forum,

I have gone through the files and it works fine after placing all the SolidWorks files in teh same folder.

For checking whther the relevant files for an assembly is located at the desired location, try the following.

in your location select any assembly file and select reference tab and you can see the location of teh files where all otehr parts are lo cated, hence you can select the link and and replace the original ones by browsing the desired location.

please follow the below image for your understanding:-

1.jpg

2.jpg

Thanks,

Pravash

Elia Shemesh

Hi Pravash,

I tried to move all the files into one folder, just like Anna said, but without success.

I do not know why with you the files are opened properly, try to see by the photographs I had pieced together in conversation with Anna how the assembly should show, maybe there has been a misunderstanding.

I also tried to Open the files by your picture, and it also did not work, I upload a photo for illustration.

Alan Metcalfe

When you do an "open file" and select "references..." double click on each part in turn in the "Name" column and manually locate them on the new hard drive. The "In Folder" column in your pic.jpg shows nested folders for the file locations.Now they are all now in one folder, you will have to help SolidWorks out and find them manually.

Elia Shemesh

WOW, thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!

You saved me, thank you all, you are champions! Everything works fine.

Now I must to leave all the files in one folder to open the assembly every time?

Alan Metcalfe

Hey, looks like I did my "Good Samaritan" bit for the day ;-)

You don't have to keep all your files in one folder, in fact if you use parts in more than one assembly then create your own folders in the SolidWorks libraries such as :- "C:\SolidWorks Librarys\design library\parts\Connectors" and keep them there, that way when you set-up a new PC the references in the assembly to the folders still work.

It's only when things move or have name changes (i.e. up-issuing a part) that you need to tell SolidWorks what and where they are.

If you would like to let the forum know your question has been answered, then everyone will be happy and I might just go up in the medal table :-)

Elia Shemesh

1) I do not understand, if I want to go to another computer and take with me the USB to view the assembly, I need to save the files in one folder? And on a hard drive?

2) And yes, I have to keep working on the assembly, It means that I must to perform saves of the files in the folder that I now have on the hard drive?

I have no problem that everyone knew about my question

Alan Metcalfe

1) I do not understand, if I want to go to another computer and take with me the USB to view the assembly, I need to save the files in one folder? And on a hard drive?

This is exactly what the SolidWorks utility "Pack & Go" is for. (File>Pack & Go..)

You can 'Save to folder:' or 'Save to Zip file:'. Have a read of the help files.

Your question started with the problem of purchasing a new computer.

You should be working from a real hard drive and only using the USB storage for transporting files.

2) And yes, I have to keep working on the assembly, It means that I must to perform saves of the files in the folder that I now have on the hard drive?

If you are going to work on more than one computer, then it is you that will have to keep track of what and where are the latest versions.

Elia Shemesh

Sorry my friend, I do not understand what your intention in the first response, and what gives this possibility.

About the second answer, I think a misunderstanding between the the question to the answer. What I'm asking is, if I want to make some changes in files or in assembly, should save to the folder that on hard drive or the original files in USB?

Elia Shemesh

Hi Anna,

I hope that I understood you correctly (if not correct me if I'm wrong), I transferred all the files to a hard drive, I tried to open and it does the same problem still. I have attached pictures to illustrate the problem.

pic1 - The assembly should look like this.

pic 2 - that's what Solid Works shows after the files are loaded.

Pravash Sahu

The best method would be whenever you work on the assembly after updating the deisgn as per your requirement, go to FILE<PACK & GO, all the associated files would go to a singkle location which you can either save to a folder or save a zip file.

please let me know if i answered you correctly.

Elia Shemesh

I think I understand more or less what the mean.

I will start working, and when I will have to help with the issue, I will ask accordingly. Thank you again.

Elia Shemesh

Hi,

I wanted to know where worthwhile save all the changes that I make? USB or hard drive?

I make saves your according to the instructions .. file> pack & go

Elia Shemesh

Please help me!

I lost my patience, so I started doing reassembly for all files. Finally after I finished it, I closed the window and opened again to see if the same problem repeats itself.

Unfortunately I discovered that everything repeats itself, and again I need to select the files manually, in order for this to work.

Let's say that right now there is nothing to do and I'll have to deal with this case. But tell me please what happens about the saves of the files? How am I supposed keep them in order to that no will be created additional problems?

Jerry Steiger

Elia,

I don't understand why you are having so much trouble with your files. It should not really matter where you save them. If you want to be able to move around from computer to computer, then it might make sense to save them on your USB drive. On the other hand, files may load and save faster if your save them on the hard drive. If you want to move them to another computer, then you could use Pack and Go to put them on the USB drive.

It is often easier to work with all of your files in a single directory, but SolidWorks is perfectly capable of keeping track of files that are kept in other directories. It usually only has problems if you rename files or folders in the Windows Explorer. (SolidWorks has no way of knowing that you renamed the files or folders, so it looks for the last names it had.)

You can use SolidWorks Explorer to rename parts and assemblies and it should keep all of the references in order. If you rename a part in SolidWorks, the assembly and drawing can keep the references straight if they are open when you do the renaming. If you don't have the drawing or assembly open when you rename a part you will usually have to help SolidWorks find the right part when you open the drawing or assembly.

Jerry S.

Elia Shemesh

Hi,

Believe me my friend, I have no idea why it makes me so much trouble. Everything was fine, and only after I bought a new computer and installed the new Solid on this computer, problems emerged with the files. I did not changed the names of anything, all was save on USB with the same names.

And now I decided to cope with this problem, but I do not know where I now keep all the changes that I have make to the files.

That because every time I need to open the assembly manually, I have the files stored on the hard drive and also a USB.