9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2014 12:17 AM by Jared Conway

Multi Body Drop Test

Michael Cattafe

I am trying to set up a multi-part drop test. The setup consists of an acrylic block screwed to a sheetmetal chassis, screwed to a plastic enclosure. The enclosure is dropped from a height of 1 meter. I have not been able to get the plots to anywhere near what I would expect (stress concentrations around the bolted joints from one body to another). I have attached the setup, any advice would be appreciated.

All contacts are set to no penetration

Mesh is draft quality until I can confirm my setup is in the ball park

~Thanks

• Re: Multi Body Drop Test
          Jared Conway

" I have not been able to get the plots to anywhere near what I would expect (stress concentrations around the bolted joints from one body to another)."

what results are you expecting?

what specifically isn't right about the stress concentrations?

what are you trying to learn in this analysis?

• Re: Multi Body Drop Test
              Michael Cattafe

There are four bosses in the "Plenum" part. I am trying to optimize the wall thickness to make sure the drop will not cause a crack in boss.

In the simulation I attached I have suppressed the enclosure to try to reduce number of elements. I am expecting that when the assembly is dropped the load will be transferred from the Chassis through the bolts to the Plenum.

What I see is that there is no stress in the plenum itself, it looks like stress propagates in the chassis part, goes into the bolt and then there is no transfer to the plenum.

Thanks