3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2014 12:45 AM by Jared Conway

Issue with curvature based mesh

Thomas Roberts

Hi.  Often when I use the curvature based mesh option, I get the error "Element 1 thickness is smaller than tolerance (1.E-30)".  Sometimes creating a courser mesh will solve the issue, but I'd rather not have to do that.  Also, in areas where I need to create local refinements for a successful mesh, a courser mesh is not an option.  What is the source of this error and how do I get around it?  I'm using SW 2011 SP05. 

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

• Re: Issue with curvature based mesh
          Jared Conway

what does the geometry look like? is it something reasonable to be meshed? are you using the curvature mesher because the standard mesher fails?

Thomas Roberts

It's an assembly of structural CEEs meshed as sheet metal (shells) and basically rectangular solids.  I can remove the CEEs from the assy and the error disappears.  The geometry is reasonable as I've had success with a larger version of the same model many times before.  I tried with the standard mesh and it works with a very fine mesh, but eventually yielded the same error (element 10,000 or something like that instead of 1) during simulation.  The curvature based mesh has always been quicker for this particular geometry.  I should note that I can always get the mesh to generate and it looks ok from inspection.  The error gets thrown while the surface to surface bonding is being formed during the beginning of the simulation.  If I remove the CEEs, then it will run and yield reasonable results for the rest of the assy.  However, rather than use any trial and error to fudge it, I'd rather have an understanding of what the error means so I can get to the root cause quickly in the future.  I can find anything in the documentation or KB about it.

Thanks

Jared Conway

tmy interpretation of the error is it telling you the mesh being generated is bad

either your element size doesnt' apply to the geometry you're applying it to or its getting meshed and the resulting mesh is bad

check the KB and otherwise report to your reseller if you want to dig in further or get a better errror message

without seeing the part, hard to tell further