4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 12:45 PM by J. Mather

Importing STL files

Xam Ti

Can i convert STL  files to a SOLID PART

I realize its not possible to have the deign intent (tree) but i would like to import the STL file as a solid so i can add features to the part.

It would be best if i can import directly and maybe solidify the STL file to one component instead of multi triangular faces.

I would not mind using an intermediate step like importing the file as STL and then exporting as STP and then reimporting it as a Solid block file

If thats not possible is there a value converter out there that can convert STL to solid objects ?

TIA

• Re: Importing STL files
          Lenny Bucholz

As with any STL file, this is not a simple save as and bring in surfaces. there are software out there that are made to do this but again ti is a some what intence process, even in SW if you have Premium with Scan 2 3D it is a crap shoot, sorry but it is what it is.

there are softwares that do this pretty good but they are in the $20k range, Geomagic, RapidForm bothe owned by 3D systems now.

the names have changed to geo something on the site so look at it. you may have to contract some one, with I think it is Geomagic XO it will save out a SW file with the tree.

Scott McFadden

Yes, you can import STL files.  Not the best import as Lenny said, but it can be done.

If you have control over the options on the export to stl file I would look at those as well.

J. Mather

Import Options

Import Options.PNG

Lenny Bucholz

just remember if you do not have scan 2 3d there is a size limit to get a solid body! SW premium only has this option.

got a stl from some one of Yoda, got it to come in with scan 2 3d, but had holes and some errors, had about 4500 surfaces.

Xam Ti

I do have scan 2 3d. But not sure how to use it. I got the menu to show but does not see the import function

My open stl file still show many triangular faces and when selected the individual triangle is highlighted not a solid body

(Using  body checked)

J. Mather

Xam Ti wrote:

My open stl file still show many triangular faces .

An stl file is planar faceted (sur)faces.  Converted to solid or not.

Generally of little use (outside of 3D printing) other than for reference in an engineering program.

Attach your file here.