8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2014 9:00 PM by Jerry Steiger

Loft for Bone Model

Henry Okeke

I am trying to loft entities that group into a bone model, but the loft technique doesn't seem to be working on some instances

• Re: Loft for Bone Model
          Scott McFadden

Henry,

Can you give us more specifics?  What version are you using?

Are you trying to create each bone as a seperate part or different solid bodies in one large part file.

Can you post some images or the part showing what you have so far?  and what you want the end result should look like?

What instances are they working in comparrison to the ones that aren't.

Henry Okeke

Scott,

I dont know what you mean by "version"

I have created planes on an already developed femur model and generated split features on several sectiona on the model, i am then trying to utilise the loft tool combine them

i will attach the file if you could have a quick look at it

Scott McFadden

Henry,

I am talking about are you running SW 2011, SW2012, SW2013 or which version.

Henry Okeke

version SW2013

Scott McFadden

I am only on SW 2011 so I will not be able to upload your model.

Someone else probably can.

Henry Okeke

here are some images of the the current loft and the sketch i have made bone 2.jpg

bone 1.jpg

Scott McFadden

Looks as though from the bottom up you are ok up to the joint.

Then at the top is that where the issue is?  Looks like you have a lot of profiles, which is fine.

Almost looks like you would be better off possible making these seperate solid bodies.  One body as you have it.

Then the next one the main top joint, then the last two, would be the ridges on the top.

bone.jpg

Also, have you considered using some vertical guide curves maybe on all four sides to control the contour even more?

Henry Okeke

so are you saying that i should do a loft for each section,

Becuase when I start to loft from the bottom towards the top, it will not allow me too loft both top ridges, I can only do it for one

Jerry Steiger

Henry,

SolidWorks is going to struggle with the irregularity of the bone shapes. You will probably be better off not to loft through each section, but you will have to pick the sections that give you the best overall result. Where the shape changes character it is often better to loft areas that share the same character as separate lofts. As an example, you would probably use one loft for the long shank of the bone, one or two sections as the end begins to thicken, and two or more lofts to generate the top ridges.

You might find that Boundary Bodies or Surfaces work better than Loft Bodies or Surfaces. You will probably find areas where neither works very well and the Fill Surface is much more useful.

I would be inclined to use Surfaces, waiting until the end to turn it into a Solid.

Jerry S.

Scott McFadden

Henry,

I am guessing you deleted my last response as well as the one you wrote in response to that one.

When you ask if I am suggesting you do a loft for each part, that just might have to happen in order to get ultimately what you are looking for.  By merging the results they end up being one solid body, but three seperate features in the tree.

Hope that makes sense.