4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2014 8:09 AM by Scott McFadden

Looking for high tolerance shop

David Booth

Does anyone know of any machine shops that work in high tolerance like +.003/-.000mm I have some molding and stamping parts that are extremely high tolerance. and the shop that is being used I find unacceptable. I am in the pacific north west and prefer something local but it isn't necessary.

• Re: Looking for high tolerance shop
          Scott McFadden

David,

Welcome to the forum.

I used to work at a company that would have tolerances of ±.0003 and the machine shops we used could do them.  Some were local to the Buffalo, NY and one I remember was in Michigan.

One of the companies was called Manth Manufacturing the other was P & P Manufacturing.

Hope this helps.

J. Mather

Scott McFadden wrote:

I used to work at a company that would have tolerances of ±.0003 ...

Uhmm Scott, without units this is meaningless.

I assume you meant inches as that tolerance doesn't make sense to me in mm, but units should always be given.

A tolerance of +.003/-.000mm (.00012in) should be specified with temperature as well as temperature dependant.

Scott McFadden

JD,  Good point.  I was meaning inches, but still can be done by the shops I specified.  The company I used to work for would always specify dimensions in mm like what the OP is looking for.

My mistake for not being clearer.  Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

You also bring up a good point when it comes to temperature.  That plays a big part as well as the material.  Also depending on the hardness of the material speaks to it as well.

Anna Wood

Are you just looking for shops to manufacture dies that you have already designed?  Or are you looking for design, build of tools and also contract manufacturing of your parts?

If it is the later, the company I work for may be interested for stamping dies?  We regularly design and build stamping tools to the tolerances you are looking for.   www.auerprecision.com

Cheers,

Anna