5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 9:36 AM by Joshua Temple

GetMassProperties/CreateMassProperties Hybrid?

Joshua Temple

Me again.

No one on here or at work has been able to resolve this issue yet. I'm trying to remain optimistic that it is possible.  I just don't see how DS wouldn't have put in the capability for this.

Once again: I'm trying to create a macro that will read both configuration specific information (CreateMassProperties) AND assigned mass (GetMassProperty).

The issue is that CreateMassProperties overwrites any assigned mass and GetMassProperty only gets the mass of the last saved configuration of whichever part it's on. So if you're needing mass properties for -003 and the part was last saved in -001, it will give you the mass properties of -001.

I need the macro to do both. I have tried and tried. I've looked at every bit of code I could find that bore some relevance to mine. They all have the same issues I'm having.

For i = 0 To UBound(Bodies)

RetBool = SwComp.AddBodies(Bodies)

Set swBody = Bodies(i)

Mass = swBody.GetMassProperties2
                      xlsheet.Range("I" & xlCurRow).Value = Mass(5)

'swMass = .GetMassProperty 'ReferencedConfiguration & Chr(13)
                      xlsheet.Range("D" & xlCurRow).Value = swMass(5) 'vMassProp         'troubleshooting

nDensity = tmpModel.GetUserPreferenceDoubleValue(swMaterialPropertyDensity)  'DO NOT USE tmpModExt
                      vMassProp = swBody.GetMassProperties(nDensity)
                      xlsheet.Range("E" & xlCurRow).Value = vMassProp(5)  'troubleshooting

'******************  Example of Issue ****************
                      Assigned = tmpModel.GetMassProperties
                      xlsheet.Range("F" & xlCurRow).Value = Assigned(5)               'troubleshooting
                      xlsheet.Range("G" & xlCurRow).Value = MassProp.Mass         'from CreateMassProperties     'troubleshooting

At the bottom you'll see the code that outputs the issues I mention above. I believe I have tried everything, but nothing has worked and I don't have any more ideas. I'm to the point where I've begun doing things I've already done months ago. The result is not any better.

Can anyone take one last look at this?

• Re: GetMassProperties/CreateMassProperties Hybrid?
          Artem Taturevych

Hi,

Sorry, I’m not sure that I completely understand your issue. I understand that you want to see the real mass for configurations. Do you need this for BOM purposes? Do you have an assembly and you want to output the mass to corresponding properties of each component (taking the referenced configuration into a consideration)? Do you need this to be a live auto updatable link or it is OK to rerun a macro every time when you changed the geometry to recalculate the mass?

Regards, Artem Taturevych | Snr. Developer | IC3D ANZ

IC3DSteel – Novice Steel Solution for SolidWorks

translationXpert – SolidWorks files language translator

LinkedIn - SolidWorks API Group

Joshua Temple

Artem,

Thank you for your reply.

It will be used on assemblies as they are released so it is find that it has to be run manually each time. We are taking the mass properties of each part in an assembly with reference to a global origin. Not for a BOM, just for tracking the weights of our assemblies.

We need the macro to look at what specific configuration it is primarily. We have achieved that, but when the configuration has an assigned mass it ignores it and outputs what the "solved" mass is.

Artem Taturevych

Hi Joshua,

Please take a look at this macro. It traverses all part components in the assembly and outputs its mass to an immediate window. If the mass is assigned it is noted in the output.

Things to note:

1) You cannot add the bodies from the assembly (AddBodies returns true but it still returns the mass for whole assembly)

2) You cannot add components instead of bodies

3) You need to get the mass property of the component model

4) You need to activate the configuration if you want to get configuration specific mass properties

5) If you want to get the data (COG) relatieve to main assembly you need to get this from part firstly then use math transforms utility to convert the data.

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks

Dim swAssy As SldWorks.AssemblyDoc

Dim swMassPrp As SldWorks.MassProperty

Sub main()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set swAssy = swApp.ActiveDoc

Dim vComps As Variant

vComps = swAssy.GetComponents(False)

Dim i As Integer

For i = 0 To UBound(vComps)

Dim swComp As SldWorks.Component2

Set swComp = vComps(i)

Dim swRefModel As SldWorks.ModelDoc2

Set swRefModel = swComp.GetModelDoc2

If Not swRefModel Is Nothing Then

Set swMassPrp = swRefModel.Extension.CreateMassProperty()

If swRefModel.GetType() = swDocumentTypes_e.swDocPART Then

'activate configuration to get the mass properties

swRefModel.ShowConfiguration2 swComp.ReferencedConfiguration

Debug.Print swComp.Name2 & ": " & swMassPrp.Mass & IIf(swMassPrp.UserAssigned, " (user assigned)", "")

End If

End If

Next

End Sub

Regards, Artem Taturevych | Snr. Developer | IC3D ANZ

IC3DSteel – New Steel Solution for SolidWorks

translationXpert – SolidWorks files language translator

LinkedIn - SolidWorks API Group