5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2014 3:52 PM by Reno Simpson

when a new sheet is inserted its the default instead of the custom

Daniel Taylor

I'll start a drawing with a custom template and when a new sheet is inserted, it's the standard sheet. My default templates are set up as custom and when I select the prompt user for template option there is no change. very frustrating

• Re: when a new sheet is inserted its the default instead of the custom
          Deepak Gupta

Make sure your custom sheet formats location are set under Tools > Options > System Options > File Locations.

Reno Simpson

I'm having a simular problem.  When i click "add sheet" it opens a default not my template which works only when i open a new drawing? 

I saved a drwdot, renamed it, edited the sheet format and saved it in the templates folder (C:\ProgramData\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2014\templates) then followed above "Tools > Options > System Options > File Locations"

There is no  "custom sheet formats"  so I added the link to these document templates, custom property files, and title block table template.

None of which works.

Also i noticed that some templates are in c:\programdata and some in c:\program files shouldn't they all be in the same place?

Daniel Taylor

just recently wiped my computer and started all over with my file templates. I'm just a dumb welder but with my custom drawing template open I went to document properties/ drawing sheets / and set the path there.

Glenn Schroeder

Here is another discussion with several posts explaining sheet formats and drawing templates: https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/57204.  Reviewing it should help clear up your first couple of questions.

I'm not sure what you mean in your third question.  You said "There is no  "custom sheet formats"  so I added the link to these document templates, custom property files, and title block table template.  None of which works."  Right above that you said you edited a sheet format, so doesn't that create a "custom sheet format"?  As far as adding the link to the templates, I assume you mean that you've gone to Tools > Options > System Options > File Locations and set the location where each type of template in the drop-down to where you have them saved.  If you've done that, I don't see any reason why they aren't showing up.

For your last question, different file types in the drop-down described above don't need to be in the same folder, as long as you're accurately pointing to each type.  You need to click on each type in the drop-down and make sure the right location is listed in the box below the drop-down.

Reno Simpson

Thank you for the help and link which solved the issue.

1. edit sheet

2. save sheet as template

*3. (from link above) click file, save sheet format

4. Tools > Options > System Options > File Locations.  add folder location for templates

5. may or may not be necessary,   (from link above) "There is a setting under Options > System Options > Drawings for "Show sheet format dialog on add new sheet"

#5 is annoying and not necessary so i unchecked the box again.