11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2014 3:57 PM by Jerry Steiger

Drawing Sheet Number ,, Currents Sheet Of Total Sheets ''

Fred Vraj

Hi Guys,

I am really not having fun making this page numbers work. I have been trying to follow every manual and every forum to set up my drawings to show My Sheets Ex:

1 OF 4 or 2 Of 4 and so on..... but no luck.

Could anybody give me some advice or help ?

Thank you......

PS: I have been trying to use Property Tab Builder but it has not worked so far.

• Re: Drawing Sheet Number ,, Currents Sheet Of Total Sheets ''
            Fred Vraj

Thank you,

I got it working now.

The biggest issue that I have is to get my head around the differences between Drawing Template and Sheet Format.

If I use my templates and want to create new tab within my drawing, why does it ask me to select Sheet Format if all the templates already contain Sheet Format????

I have read so much about this confusion but everybody makes me even more confused.

One says this, one says that. I dont understand why I have to choose Sheet Format if its already predefined within my template.

I tried to untick the pop-up ( Select Sheet Format ) in the Options but is still pops-up....

can You please try to help with this one?

Thank you very much.

PS: Some SW people says that Sheet Format is only for older versions and we do not have to worry about it if we use newer SW.

Well why am I getting the pop-ups if its not needed?

Deepak Gupta

Make sure your custom sheet formats location are set under Tools > Options > System Options > File Locations.

This way SW won't ask to select it.

Glenn Schroeder

Fred Vraj wrote:

The biggest issue that I have is to get my head around the differences between Drawing Template and Sheet Format.  

I explained them in my second post on this discussion:  https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/57204. It may help you. 

Fred Vraj wrote:

One says this, one says that. I dont understand why I have to choose Sheet Format if its already predefined within my template. 
                  Your template only defines which sheet formats are being used for the existing sheets.  For example, my main drawing template has two sheets active, with a different sheet format for each.  At Tools > Options > System Options > Drawings, if you don't have the box checked for "Show sheet format dialog on add new sheet" then when you click the tab to add a new sheet SW should use whichever sheet format is used for the active sheet.  If it can't find that sheet format, because it's been moved or renamed, then I think it will ask, as Deepak said.

After saving your drawing template, if you change or move the sheet formats, the changes will not be reflected in new drawings until you update the drawing template.

PS: Some SW people says that Sheet Format is only for older versions and we do not have to worry about it if we use newer SW.

I don't know what they were talking about.  I've used SW since version 2009 and I'm not aware of any changes with drawing templates and sheet formats, though there may be some that I'm not aware of.

Fred Vraj

Hi Glenn,

your help is very much appreciated. Now, I am getting there.:-) I will do some testing and I will get back to you. Thank you for your

Red Line answer.

have agreat day.

PS: see below what I meant.

February 21, 2013

Drawing Template vs. Sheet Format Files in SolidWorks

Ever go to create a drawing template and wind up confused on the difference between a sheet format file and a template file?  Well for most users there's really no reason to worry about the sheet format file because in newer releases of SolidWorks, everything you need for a drawing template is included in the template file. For the sake of understanding though, I'll explain what both of these files are and how they relate to each other.

The drawing template file is just what you normally think of when you think of a template. It has all your company's standards built into it such as the sheet size, title block appearance, and any settings changed in Document Properties. Once set SolidWorks will use this same template for every drawing you create thereafter.  You save a template file by setting up a drawing based on your company's standards and then doing a File, Save As, and changing the file type to Drawing Template (.drwdot).

http://blog.gxsc.com/graphics_systems_solidnot/2013/02/drawing-template-vs-sheet-format-files.html

Glenn Schroeder

I glanced at that link that you provided.  I wasn't aware that earlier versions of SW didn't include the sheet format in the drawing template.  That had to have been before SW2009.  And the blogger is right that once a drawing template is set up, there isn't a reason to worry about the sheet format as long as you don't want to change it.

Fred Vraj

Oh

Glenn that's ok!!!

I must say that this is the most confusing debate on this forum.

Guess what? I get it now!!! I have been trying over the weekend and I can honestly say that it seems to be so simple now.:-)

Its like CUSTOMIZING SHEET FORMATS WITH DIFFERENT CONTENT and PUTTING THEM ALL IN ONE TEMPLATE.

EXAMPLE:

My main template has now 3 Sheets with 3 Different formats.

1st  Sheet  = A4 Sheet Format for 3D ASSEMBLY View

2nd Sheet  = A4 Sheet Format for 3 Basic views

3th  Sheet =  A3 Sheet Format for Details

Is that right?

Thank you so much !!!!!!

Fred Vraj

Thank you John,

your help is appreciated.

PS: Its works perfectly now, unfortunately I can not mark your help as a CORRECT ANSWER because I had already gave it to somebody else. Thank you anyway...

Have a great day