5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2014 4:44 PM by Jared Conway

FEA Promblems

Marc Angiollo

hi everyone,

so I have a class project that is requiring what seems to me to be a pretty advanced finite element analysis using solidworks simulation. we are trying to see the forces present on a V style snowplow while it is in the V shape, scoop shape, and the traditional flat plow configuration. I'm having trouble getting the program to mesh my parts, and everytime it seems i get a fix on the problem part it just moves onto another part that is failing. I am going to upload the assembly of the plow in case anyone can help me trouble shoot on their own software, or if you have some common troubleshooting tips for a simulation on an assembly with upwards of 75 individual parts that would also be greatly helpful. any kind of help really would be appreciated.

here are the test conditions; we are fixing the back plate of the plow onto a tractor, and we will be applying 18000lbs of force over the entire surface of the plow.

• Re: FEA Promblems
          Justin Strempke

Marc,

I took a quick look at your model and first thoughts were to simplify it greatly for FEA.  I'm not sure what level of detail you were trying to mesh, but I would construct the majority of it using surfaces and use shell elements, making sure to split surfaces where they intersect for proper meshing.  Remove small non-critical parts, and (if you plan on having the spring in there) use FEA objects where possible (bolts, springs, pins, etc.).  Combine parts that are to be fab welded into a single part, as weld allowances will throw fits on both mesh and stress results. 

When you say you're looking to see the forces, are you talking about the reactions at the pinned joints and such, or just the stress in the assembly in general?

Hope this helps!

Jared Conway

what file are you looking to analyze?

As Justin mentioned if you guys have a tight timeline, I'd recommend mocking up a very simple model for analysis. Checking out some of the as-designed parts, they will require some decent experience with SolidWorks Simulation to simulate properly. Mixed meshing, proper model simplification..etc.

Marc Angiollo

Sorry about that,

If you go to Hinge folder, then assemblies, then (Full Hinge & Frame Assembly GOOD (Hinge).SLDASM)

Jared Conway

my suggestion, concentrate on one blade first then you can move up to the main assembly

build up your knowledge as you go

this is going to be a mixed mesh (shells and solids)

if you need to get things done quickly, abandon your model for manufacturing and build a surface model of the main elements so that you can go straight to shells

start with something really simple like a t-shape with 2 surfaces to get the hang of it