8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2015 5:03 PM by Max Crittenden

Interference detection: why volume, not linear interference?

Max Crittenden

Long ago, when I ran an interference detection Solidworks would display the linear dimensions of the interference. Now it gives a volume of interference. I honestly can't imagine why it's useful to know that two parts have .0000063 cubic inches of interference!

This is yet another example of SW changing useful features to useless ones. Why is there not at least an option to display linear interference?

• Re: Interference detection: why volume, not linear interference?
          Brian Mick

This isn't really a question that board members can answer, but I agree with your general complaint.  I work with sheet metal and linear interference would be much more useful to me than volumetric interference.

Mark Greenwell

Hi all

Old Post I know, but 1st time I have come across this.

What version did this change from giving linear interference to volume?

I have always assumed that interference results was given in volume, it wasn't changed from linear.

Who's idea was that? and what benefit does this give over a linear dimension.

I have to agree with Brian & Max lets go back to the ability to have a linear dimension shown when running interference detection.

Thanks

Mark (SolidWorks 2015 sp2.5

Jamil Snead

I also don't remember ever having a linear dimension result, although to be honest I didn't use interference detection that much in the past. Having a linear result sounds nice, but I think that would be harder than you may realize. The interference zone is a 3D volume, so how does SW know in which direction you want to know the linear interference? Should it give you a separate XYZ bounding box dimensions for the overlapping volume? Should it give the max thickness of the interference volume? In my images below, what kind of linear result would you expect to get? SW doesn't know in which direction you need to retract a part in order to resolve interference.

interf1.PNGinterf2.PNG

Mark Greenwell

Hi Jamil,

For as long as I have been using SolidWorks (2006) the interferences detection has always given a volume.

I remember posting a question a few years ago asking if it was possible to give linear rather than volume dimensions.

I believe the answer was as you described hard to know what dimensions are required.

I am surprised to find that this function according to Max was available in an early release.

Bring it back, much more useful than knowing the volume in my opinion.

Thanks

Mark

Jamil Snead

I have to disagree. I don't think that a linear result would be useful at all because it would most likely NOT be the linear dimension that you actually car about. Since SW has no way of knowing which direction you have in mind, then it will have to give you the linear interference in some random direction. In the images I posted above, if it treported .0025" of interference, what would that even mean? Would that mean that the minimum thickness of the interference slab was .0025? Would it mean the max thicnkess was .0025? Would it meant the max linear dimension across the entire volume (which would be from one corner to the opposite corner) is .0025? Whatever it is, it is probably not going to be the linear dimension I want. At least with a volume result you know "how much" interference there is and you can get a rough idea of severity of one interference relative to another.

In the end I don't think it really matters what is displayed. With a few exceptions such as a screw in a threaded hole or a press fit dowel pin, any interference needs to be addressed. What I do is make a note of where every interference is (by pasting a screenshot of each into a word doc) and then go back to the model and use the measure tool to get the dimension I want.

I suppose what might be useful functionality is if you could use the measure tool on the interference volume from within the interference detection tool. Actually there are already two open SPRs for that:

SPR 216242: Users would like to be able to use the measure tool when reviewing interference detection

SPR 216248: user would like to see interference in distance or be able to use the measure tool to make measurements on the volume of interference

Max Crittenden

In my experience, it didn't matter much what frame of reference SW used to give me the linear dimensions of interference. The interference volume was highlighted, and it was pretty easy to estimate, from its shape plus whatever dimensions were given, how much I should change whatever feature I wanted to change.

By contrast, if I'm given a volumetric number, I have to mentally take its cube root to get a rough idea of the linear extents of the interference. I don't know about anyone else, but for me that's a lot harder.

I guess we all have our own preferences. That's one good reason why, as I originally wrote, SW should give us the option of how we want interference presented.

Mark Greenwell

HI Jamil,

Here is an example I have a stiffener plate that for whatever reason has move into a flange plate,

When I run Interferences detection it rightly highlight the area. however as it shows the volume of interference I have to work out how far into the second plate the fist plate has gone.

If it was say 5mm then I would need to revisit, however if it was say only 1mm or less then we (for the type of work we do) might say leave as is.

The only way I can find this distance out is to exit the interference mode and use the measure tool.

I agree that you should be able to use the measure tool when using the interference tool, don't understand why you can't.

However my point of raising this old thread was as Max indicated the ability to have the linear dimension was available in an older version of SolidWorks and was removed.

What I am saying is bring it back and let the user choose if he wants linear or volume dimensions.

What you prefer might not be what other prefer. Choice is good.

Thanks

Mark

Max Crittenden

I started using SW in about 1998. I don't know when the change was made.