5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2014 8:02 AM by Glenn Schroeder

3Dsketch dissapearing from feature tree?

Keoni Dade

Hi,

I have a frame file I've been working on for a long time, but today the 3Dsketch that everything is based off of disappeared from the feature tree. The sketch still exists since the features are entirely intact, and the 3Dsketch can be viewed by editing the features but still not accessed. 2.png1.png

The first picture shows a previous version where the 3Dsketch is still there, while the second picture shows the current version where the 3Dsketch is not visable.

Any idea how to fix this? Any help is appreciated.

• Re: 3Dsketch dissapearing from feature tree?
          Glenn Schroeder

Hello,

Welcome to the forum.  Your screenshot doesn't show the features further down in the tree.  Is it possible that this sketch was used in a feature, such as a Sweep, that absorbed it?  I don't think it's very likely, but it's the only thing I can think of.  If that did happen, then you should be able to expand the feature to see the sketch.

Keoni Dade

Yes, i went through all my features and it was hidden under a fairly recent cut-sweep, whch is strange because it didn't do that for any of my other sweeps and I thought shared sketched were supposed to stay seperate.. but anyways, thanks for the help!

Glenn Schroeder

I'm glad I could help.  Be sure to come back if you have more questions.  Here is a discussion with a great deal of information to help you get the most from the forum if you'd like to take a look:  https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/39793.

By the way, I saw the ( - ) in front of the 3d sketch in your screenshot.  You may already be aware of this, but that means that the sketch isn't fully defined.  Using a sketch that isn't fully defined can be a dangerous practice.

Keoni Dade

I wasn't aware what that symbol meant, thanks! Unfortunatly that sketch has it's own problems.. as in it rebuilds fine, but when i draw an extra unconstrained line anywhere in the sketch it might suddenly freak out and says all the vertical constraints are invalid, or sometimes all the constraints. Sometimes drawing an extra line fixes the errors. Sometimes it works and i can change things and add things no problem, sometimes it doesn't. The errors are so unrepeatable i've never been able to find what's causing the problem, despite analyzing and trouble shooting all the constraints.

Glenn Schroeder

3d sketches can be problematic, especially for new users.  They still give me trouble.  Un-intended relations is the most common problem I have.

The best advice I can give on them is don't let them get too complex.  Break it down into several smaller sketches if possible.  Actually, keeping them simple is good advice for 2d sketches also.