6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2014 10:54 PM by Jared Conway

How do I suppress a Mate in a Motion Study?

Douglas Kimber

I'm using SW 2014 and I'm trying to learn Motion Analysis. I'm following advice from the forums to "crawl, walk, run", and so started with a simple two element model with a frame and a crank.While I was doing this model I ran into a problem I don't understand. In the model I added a perpendicular mate to locate the two links at a known position. I suppress/unsuppress this mate to reset position when needed. However, if I start a motion analysis study with the mate unsuppressed, and then suppress it in the motion analysis, the analysis fails, I get 1 redundant mate, and it falls apart. If I creat a new motion study after suppressing the mate in the model, everything works fine. Is there a reason mate suppression does not work in motion analysis? Am I doing something wrong? At first blush this seems like a SW bug to me. This image shows the issue:

MotionMateSuppressError.png

The mate is clearly suppressed, yet it shows up as redundant in the analysis, and when you first run the analysis you get an error (which you should get if the mate is active, since I'm using a motor to rotate the crank around the hole where it is mated to the frame).

Thanks!

Doug

• Re: How do I suppress a Mate in a Motion Study?
          Jared Conway

doesn't look right

version/service pack?

happens in a new study?

might as well post the model as well.

• Re: How do I suppress a Mate in a Motion Study?
              Douglas Kimber

Jared-

Thanks for the response. I'm using SW 2014 x64, SP2.

If I start a new study with the perpendicular mate suppressed in the model before inserting the study it works as expected.

If I start a new study with the perpendicular mate unsuppressed, then suppress the mate in the motion study manager, it fails as shown in my original post. In other words, I cannot get the mate to suppress by suppressing it in the motion study manager.

I've attached the model if you want to check it out.

In the attachment Motion Study 1 has a force too - not needed to demonstrate my issue. Motion Study 1 currently has ALL mates un-suppressed, yet it runs! To demonstrate this issue insert a couple additional motion studies, then suppress/un-suppress the mates withinin the study and see what happens. You'll need to add a motor to the face of the crank and set the RPM to 12. Then pick Motion Analysis and re-calculate.

Thanks again for your responses!

Doug