1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 4, 2014 11:38 PM by Jared Conway

Calculating optimal flow speed

Steven Trvalik

Hello, I am a high school student using Solidworks Flow Simulation and I need some help with one of my projects. The project that I am working on is a sailplane that is meant to have the highest glide ratio possible. Glide ratio depends on the lift/drag ratio which in turn depends on the glider's airspeed.

Is there any way that I can have Solidworks Flow Simulation set the flow speed of the simulation to the speed that will result in the highest Normal force (x)/Normal force (y)?

On a side note, is there any way to calculate net torque around a given point in Solidworks Flow simulation? I need this function so that I can find the optimal location for the wings, tail, etc. in order to have a balanced glider that will stay level.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Re: Calculating optimal flow speed
          Jared Conway

parametric optimization will let you optimize towards a specific value but won't let you maximize/minimize a function like you're looking for. your best bet would be to use a parmetric sweep to go through several speeds and then look at the results to see where your maximum is.

net torque would be the same method as you have for force. pick a location, pick all faces, and then use a goal to output torque.

highly recommend you start with a 2d simulation of a 2d wing profile to get your method down before you go to 3d. lots of forum posts about how much mesh, size of comp domain, setting up force and torque goals to study before you get starte.d