4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2014 8:33 AM by Joe Kuzich

Rebuild errors...

Carl Dahm

Am I the only one that seems to be getting random errors on a consistent basis? I currently am working on a conveyor design and ham constantly having to supress and unsuppress mates after a rebuild because for whatever reason, they are becoming over-defining or unsolvable. I am running SW2014 SP 2, but have noticed this in past versions too. It seems to happen with larger assemblies and is taking up about a half hour per day. Does anybody have any ideas as to why this is happening, or how it can be fixed/avoided?

• Re: Rebuild errors...
          Jeremy Feist

just a guess, but this being a conveyor, I suspect you are making good use of patterns, right? I have found mates to instances in a pattern to be a bit flaky, and have avoided them for years.

Carl Dahm

I am not actually doing to much with patterns in the assembly; in the individual parts, there are a couple. I am using a few equations, too. This particular job involves three seperate conveyors and I am configurating as I go to try to make the all 3 instances work without having to seperately design 3 different systems. Is this something I should avoid doing in the future? I also am noticing I can get one or two configurations taken care of but then when I switch to the third, I will have the errors. I supress/unsupress or force mates and they will solve and again one or two will be fine but a third will start acting up. I eventually get all three to configure and work correctly save and continue on, only to have the assemblies light up like a McDonalds christmas tree after a system reboot...

Jerry Steiger

Carl,

With only three configurations, it doesn't seem like you should be running into that many problems. It could have to do with how you set up the mates. If you are mating between faces on parts and one of the parts is changed, that can sometimes cause the face ID to change and thus cause the mate to error. If you add planes, axes and sketches to do the mating you can make the mates much more robust.

Jerry S.

Joe Kuzich

I started doing exactly what Jerry mentioned and it has GREATLY reduced the error messages.  Before a tiny adjustment to any part or subassembly could easily destroy many of my mates.  Often it would only be a single mate that was actually screwed up but that one effected a few more that effected a few more till half my mates got toasted.  Then, good luck figuring out the one or two mates responsible.  By adding sketches and planes MOST my mates tie back to those.  If you get an error it is then usually isolated to that error only and very easy to fix.  Just remember to name the sketches and planes so you can easily identify which ones they are.  A little more work up front but a whole lot less overall.  Another tip that took me a while to get used to; as soon as you make your new sketch or plane, move it to the top of the tree.  You can do this before you tie stuff to it but not after.  This helps eliminate circular references that cause SW to solve everything multiple times.

The configuration issue I also try to avoid most of the time.  And it seams to help with performance when my assemblies get larger.  From my understanding your system has to calculate each of the configurations even though only one is being used.  So if you have 1 subassembly with 10 configurations that is used 10 times, the system has to go through calculating that subassembly 100 times rather than 10.  I know that's over simplified but the basic idea.  With what we do its just about as easy to just have separate subassemblies most of the time.