4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2014 2:47 PM by Shaun Densberger

Motor Size

Clive Denley

Hi, I would like to simulate what is in effect a large washing mangle.

The machine will be driven by an electric motor, and i would like to see what size of motor would be best suited.

A dough like substance will be placed in between the rollers then squashed into a flat strip as it passes through, is the general idea.

The dough like material is un-cured silicone rubber, though because it is un-cured i dont have any material datd other than its plasticity or viscosity.

Can you advise the best way of tackling this study please.

Thanks

Clive

• Re: Motor Size
          Jared Conway

can't be done with solidworks simulation, you'd have to look at something like ABAQUS to handle such a nonlinear problem (squishing the dough between the rollers).

make a best guess at the force required to squish it and estimate motor needs from there.

Clive Denley

Now that has made me chuckle.

Simulation Premium and I'm still guessing.

Jared Conway

if you can come up with a hyperelastic material property or similar

you could potentially get them to squish it

you may need to go up to a nonlinear dynamic to get everything to work

ABAQUS is better equipped to handle such a nonlinear problem.

Shaun Densberger

If you're going to try to do this with SW, then Jared is on the right rack; you'll need to develop a hyper-elastic material model. You'd also need to account for contact between the rollers and the material, which for this problem (I would think) will be very difficult without making a nice mapped mesh between the roller and the material (which SW can't do). I'd start with a 2D plane strain model, with one roller and half the material thickness (and a symmetry constraint at the exposed edge of the cut on the material) and see if you can get that to work.

However, even if you get this to work, I don't know how much I'd trust the results. This is a very non-linear problem, and as Jared pointed out, it would probably require a very advanced code like ABAQUS (or LS-DYNA).