11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2014 3:01 PM by Chris Michalski

Aileron mates to servo

Rony Varghese

Hi,

I am strugling with a wing design, i have designed wing, then cut out the aileron, made a servo and a connecting rod. However, when i connect the aileron and servo i get a complete movement of aileron and not about the leading edge of the aileron (i.e. the entire aileron rotates as i move the servo arm) - I have tried angle mates but it only limits the amount of movement by the aileron and does not make it rotate about the leading edge.

any help ..does anyone want to see the cad file ?

• Re: Aileron mates to servo
          Tom dunn

sure, add the file here for us to take a look at it.

Rony Varghese

Hi Tom,

I have attached the cad file for the wing assembly. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

I have to replicate an actual wing in solidworks...in the actual wing there is a fine tape like material between the aileron and main wing..but i had no clue on how to make a tape like material in solidworks...please help if you any ideas..

Jerry Steiger

Rony,

It sounds like you need to define the pivot point/axis for the aileron. How would the aileron be mounted to the wing in real life?

Jerry S.

Rony Varghese

Hi Jerry,

I have to replicate an actual wing in solidworks...the issue is that there is a connecting rod to a servo motor ( as seen in the cad file) directly and a tape ( Not sure which material it is but its a strong transperent material) holding the wing to the top of the aileron leading edge.

I tried googling tape/ flexible mates between parts but could not get anything. Is there any way to achieve this ( ideally i should have a cad model which is exact the actual).

I shall add photo of the same to make it more clearer ..any ideas would be great.

Chris Michalski

Without looking at your model (just the photo) it would seem that you want a distance mate between the linear edge of the aileron and the trailing edge of the wing.  Assuming drag keeps the tape pulled tight then this distance will be limited by the tape.

Rony Varghese

Chris,

I tried the distance mate now...it replicates the strech ( distance is halted ) but i cant get the aileron to pivot. can you please help me pivot it about the leading edge of the aileron.

Chris Michalski

Rony -

I added a reference point on the wing to make the distance mate to the tip of the aileron.  Then I placed a mate that that tip of aileron remains on the surface of the wing.  Now it (seems to) pivot along that edge.  I'm not sure this is 100% correct though because your wing is not flat, so the curvature may make the aeliron pivot about a weird axis.

An alternate version for you to test: I made a reference point on each end of the aileron to the wing.  This ensures that it pivots about the average leading edge.  This also would allow the aileron to move forward (tape not fully stretched tight) depending on how you move the linkage.

Rony Varghese

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your help..it helped a lot but for curiosity..is there any way to design a tape holding (strechable material) between  two parts in an assembly?

Chris Michalski

Not in this case.  You can define a surface that would bridge the gap between these two parts (a loft between the two lines). 

You have 2 options:

1) The parts are restrained by mates (similar to what I did).  If you do not use mates to define the aileron position it can fly off into space.  Then the tape is created after SW updates the position of the wing and aileron.

2) You define the shape of the tape initially and it is rigid. Then you mate that tape to points on the aileron.  (Less desirable because this defines the shape instead of only the distance.)

Without involving motion and simulations there is no simple way (that I know of) to model a piece of tape between two parts which limits motion.  In essence this is what you are modeling by adding several mates, the only difference is that you have to decide how it is most accurate to define those mates.

Kevin Pymm

Rony,

You need to use Pack & Go to save all the parts of your assembly as well to your zip file.