4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2014 12:58 PM by Jared Conway

Disabling diffusion?

Oliver Valerio

Hello all,

I realise this may be a little simplistic, but I've had about 2 days to stumble through this software, and there's another 3 until my deadline, so was hoping someone could point me in the right direction

I'm modelling static mixers, where two very viscous non-newtonian fluids are pumped in, and run through a series of baffles which causes them to mix together. I'm hoping to obtain quantitive data as to how effective each design is by looking at the volume fraction surface plots at the end of each mixer. To make sure the fluids are behaving properly, I ran a simulation in an empty pipe, which gave me this;

mixing.png

As you can (kind of) see each fluid runs through two small circular apertures at the bottom. However, I was not expecting the region of mixing between the two, but rather a much more distinct partition as seen below (obviously the design below has a different delivery system, but it shows the distinction between fluid regions I was expecting);

idealmixing.png

I found that by increasing the specific heat of the liquids, it reduced the degree of mixing, but the top image is the most I could reduce it. [spec heat of ~15MJ/(kg*K)]

I'm guessing that this is a result of how solidworks calculates diffusion, but obviously I'm not sure. Is there anything I can do to produce the desired distinction between fluids? I'm worried that leaving it like this will significantly skew my results when it comes to running the liquids through the mixer designs.