13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2014 4:09 PM by Scott Cole

assembly madness

Scott Cole

i have a large assembly with a subassebly. when i openned the top assy that subassy came apart. i deleted all the files in its folder and put in the good one from my backup folder. i openned the subassy and i was fine. i openned the top assy and it still opens that bad sub assy wich was deleted. what is going on here?

• Re: assembly madness
          Andrew Kronquist

Is it pulling the deleted file from the place where you deleted it, or maybe someplace else? When weird things like that happen, I check the references before I open the file in the Open File dialog box.

Scott Cole

this is crazy, if i open the subassy from the browser of the top assy its a mess. if i go to the folder where the subassy is located and open it from there its ok. i check find references and it says it in the correct folder. somehow the subassy i deleted is still being found or is it the top assy wont fix the constaints.

Philip Lewis

I think it might help to know more about what is going wrong. Is it being overdefined? Are parts moving where they shouldn't? Or maybe something else?

If something like this happens to an assembly I open I will first suppress all the mates in the main assembly associated with the subassembly. Then open the subassembly and rebuild (Ctrl+Q). If the errors are still there I will try reloading the subassembly. If that clears up the subassembly I will then flip back to the main assembly and see if it errors out again. If not then I start turning the mates on one at a time looking for the culprit.